Spindle shaped round inlay box [includes a poll, come vote]

this would be more likely to work if you use thinner material, so less of a gap created by pulling the two ends apart.

3 Likes

Yeah actually you could do this pretty easily with a ton of veneer layers. Not it! That’s way too much glue up.

2 Likes

Hahaha I was wondering about that too

1 Like

If you had the wood soaking in alcohol it would bend and then hold the shape after drying. A lot easier with Basswood than Wenge but everything else would be between those two.

2 Likes

I was thinking for a second veneer with 3M adhesive, but that would leave no room for error.

Yeah I prefer wood glue, open time is key.

2 Likes

Beautiful! And a similar solution to one I’ve used to some success for the ah, Three Body Problem if you will.

Must take a lot of work to get it so perfectly round! Do you do all the sanding by hand?

1 Like

Go back to the main post, there’s a link to edge nerdery at the end that you click on for more info. I detailed it for you. :slight_smile:

DERP. Totally missed that.

Wow, I’m impressed you get it so even all by hand. Well done!

3 Likes

It’s really not hard when you build the shape into the design like that. You just grind the edges away, no problem.

2 Likes

Sooooooo beautiful! We are all in love with Chronos!

1 Like

I know it wouldn’t be an easy technique for your design but the project reminded me of my solution to “I want to make a handle but I don’t have a lathe (but I do have a drill press and laser) problem”.

12 Likes

These are the solutions that change the world :joy:

4 Likes

I always love the contrasting pop that you get when you combine Purpleheart and Yellowheart!!

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:
Even more impressive in uv light!

Self #necrogame.

I liked this one. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Such attention to detail! I’m very impressed.

Did you manually align the rings, or did you use some kind of alignment trick?

4 Likes

Wow. What beautiful work! I have yet to make anything with hardwoods, but this has persuaded me to try something new. I’m glad you bumped this topic.

3 Likes

Thanks! I use brass pins to align stuff like this. You can see them in some of my other projects like this one:

3 Likes

Oh @purplie you’ll probably like this one too:

3 Likes