Spore Lamp

I bought this design on Etsy but later found the exact same design on Thingiverse for free. I created my own “leaf” elements for it, and just used theirs as a size reference.

The pattern didn’t have a size reference, so I just sized it by the slots, making it so it would work for 1/8" Baltic birch. That came out about the size the description gave, but the hole for the light is pretty small. I stuck an Ikea pendant light in it, but had to disassemble the socket wiring to put the cord through.

EDIT: I measured the finished lamp. It’s approximately 13" in diameter and 8-9" high.

I sanded and finished each piece with blue stain and spray lacquer. I now have multiple sensitive spots on my fingertips where I accidentally sanded myself, and it took freaking forever. I think on the next one I will finish the wood FIRST, and then cut out the lamp.

150 Likes

That piece is stunning.

2 Likes

Amazing work and effort!

2 Likes

This is beautiful. I love lights…and this is amazing.

3 Likes

Wow, so are you and @evansd2 just going back and forth to see who can design the coolest stuff?

5 Likes

Psht, I lost that contest a long time ago.

7 Likes

Ha. Not hardly!

4 Likes

Ehhh, I just saw your Beast creation and that was pretty intense. Maybe she’s beat you a handful of times, but I bet it goes in your favor from time to time!

2 Likes

I can’t hold a candle to his inlays and butt joint stuff. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hey man, be careful about how you refer to his butt joint stuff.

12 Likes

As always. Impressive work!

1 Like

Any and all references to my butt joint stuff are welcome.

6 Likes

That last picture just makes me go wow.

4 Likes

Turned out soooo nice. Wow!

2 Likes

Looks awesome! well done!

2 Likes

Amazing, as always! It’s really a lovely piece, but I have to wonder how you are gonna dust all those little pieces? :laughing:

4 Likes

Amazing work !!

2 Likes

Very nice lamp,I have been looking for some blue stain, do you mind me asking where you purchased the stain from?

1 Like

Great googley-moogley! Any of us can upload a file and press print, but this shows the result of adding talent and hard work to the process.

4 Likes

Just print a replacement, of course!

5 Likes