Spore Lamp

What a great project! Adding your own design elements just enriches it. :sunglasses:

Dust? “A perfectly kept house is the sign of a misspent life.”

9 Likes

that’s what leaf blowers are for, right?

7 Likes

I got it at ACE Hardware. It comes in a tube instead of a can, which is kinda cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Killjoy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Guess I’d better stock up on canned air.

That might just be my favorite compliment ever. :slight_smile:

Yay! I’m doing something right, then! :laughing:

7 Likes

Beautiful, but now we hear that Charmed is ill. So glad this got finished before the air assist problem.

1 Like

Awesome thank you.

1 Like

Well this is truly amazing. Looks perfect.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m with @cynd11 on this one…great design, but the idea of dusting all those little cracks is a bit cringe inducing! :smile:

3 Likes

Time for clear acrylic inlays! @pubultrastar had upped the game.

8 Likes

Now THAT deserves a lighted sign !

3 Likes

I have been playing with doing one of those for a year now, There have been many variants but I really like yours! The balance between big enough openings and big enough meat between the openings with the maximum number of openings . you have indeed pushed on those boundaries. I would be interesting to know what percentage failed for pushing it too far, and I hope that this was not the strawbale that broke the back of Charm :pleading_face:

1 Like

They all survived assembly without issue. I cut it from Baltic birch plywood, so there were a few failures in cutting where I hit hidden knots, but those were the only casualties. I think the center “vein” is what keeps them sturdy – it takes the force when you’re pressing them into the slots, so the cutouts aren’t a problem.

My OCD tendencies make me want to design another one, as I don’t understand the weird inconsistencies in variation between the sizes of the leaves. Obviously it comes out fine despite them, but I can’t help wondering if it wouldn’t look even better if a little more logic were applied…so yeah, I’m kind going all engineery on the design now; we’ll see what happens.

4 Likes

That is why I do not have mine less OCD though and more ADD :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Stunning light!

3 Likes

that is so pretty … one of the best designs I’ve seen on here so far. thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

3 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: i love this!

2 Likes

Great job! Google GE Bright Stik bulbs. These are slim tubular LED bulbs that work great in tight situations and are well priced. They have a very modern look too.

2 Likes

This is just great. I love it! Got me thinking about making another light!!

1 Like

Very late to the party here, but I decided to try a draft as well:

I didn’t do anything fancy with the “leaves” because I wanted to see the rough product and then see if it inspired a design. It has, but my wife is not feeling the same degree of inspiration so I think this will live/die in my workshop for now…

I grabbed the .dxf files from the link mentioned above, resized, and did a minimal cleanup.
I would recommend scaling down by ~5% for a pressure fit on the leaves if you’re also using proofgrade draftboard. Licenses of the original owner still apply!
SporeLampProofgradeMediumDraftboard.zip (35.7 KB)

14 Likes