Spore Lamp

Bless you for sharing that. I was having trouble with the Thingverse files…once I got them into SVG, they had all these weird lines across the images that I couldn’t seem to get rid of! I really want to make this for my dining room table pendant lamp!

Could you share with me how you got the slats on the design? I’m neeeeewwww, but I really want to make the really leafy looking design for my dining room table light <3 It’s beautiful!

Welcome to the community! I assume you want to know how to cut material out of the “leaves” to make them look nicer like the original? There are plenty of resources I could link but perhaps it’d be best to ask what drawing/drafting software you’re using first.

Thanks so much & yes! I’d like to include the void lines to create veins." I’m working with Inkscape & you could say there’s a learning curve here, lol!

1 Like

You’re looking for “Boolean Operations.” This allows you to add/cut one shape onto/out of another. I’d recommend modifying a single leaf of each size then copying it. If you change the size of any of the leaves, then they won’t properly fit into the slots on the vertical supports.

http://write.flossmanuals.net/start-with-inkscape/boolean-operations/

2 Likes

This lamp is so beautiful, the pattern of light that is shown on the walls and ceiling…!

2 Likes

Thank you SO much!!

1 Like

Classic piece of art and functionality. I love the look!

3 Likes

I just made a smaller version in Cherry Veneer. I’m naming her Phyllis (Diller).
I loved the way it turned out, but I’m not happy with my patterns elements/lack of direction.
My ribs/frame pieces are upside down so that the 2 circles are at the bottom making the base too thick to use a locking socket lamp base.
The 2nd thing I had difficulty with was the sizes of the leaves. There was no direction to say what leaves went where. I started out just fine putting the smallest leaves at the top then the next size around then the next and the next. But when I got to the end, I only have the largest leaves left and they didn’t fit properly so I had to squeeze them in together. It would’ve been nice to know to save some of the smaller/med leaves for the bottom.
When I have some time I’m going to try it again with less expensive materials.

9 Likes

Gorgeous! :heart_eyes: I keep meaning to make one as well but it keeps getting drowned in the list of other things :flushed:

1 Like

Simply amazing!

1 Like

So cool looking!

2 Likes