Spray Paint

Are there any spray paints that are considered “safe” for application BEFORE laser engraving? Is the IRONLAK Acrylic spray paint one of them?

2 Likes

I don’t know, but IRONLAK sounds like a perfect name for a multivitamin at IKEA.

15 Likes

i’m not aware of any paints that aren’t “laser safe.” unless maybe they have some sort of metalic flake in them that might be a reflection issue. but i haven’t heard of anyone having issues with lasering paint.

I’ve seen some pretty nasty looking automotive paint SDSs.

1 Like

Acrylic spray paints should be fine, as long as you let it dry first. Ironlak is a decent paint, much higher pigment count than krylon or rusto, although for fine-art spray paint I much prefer MTN for better coverage and control.
The smell of Ironlak will remind you to put on your respirator, MTN smells almost nice (too nice, actually).

5 Likes

Where do you get MTN?

MTN is available in many art, hardware, and craft stores, often as a caged end-cap.
Online direct from spray planet, or art suppliers like Bombing Science*, Blick Art Supplies, Amazon.

MTN (also called Montana Colors) have several lines of spray paint, all with a pile of colors. I really like the 94 series, (matte colors, low-pressure can). Mtn also make the Hardcore, Alien, and Water-Based lines. MTN is from Spain.

There is also Montana Cans, a German company, that also makes fine-art spray paints. There is plenty of confusion between the two brands. Montana Cans makes the Gold Series can, a low-pressure acrylic.

Flame is another, slightly cheaper, fine art spray that is available as an Acrylic.

*the word “bombing” in this context refers to rapidly-executed graffiti art, and not in any way to explosives. If you want to get an idea of why, here’s a link to a graffiti video by Sofles (sponsored by Ironlak).

8 Likes