Square Card-Reader Branding

I had a craft show this weekend (lots of laser-cut goodies), and at the last minute I realized I could brand my Square contactless card reader with my logo. Found a piece of Proofgrade walnut veneer in my stash, and ten minutes later I had the best looking card reader on the show floor!

77 Likes

Uh, yeah, definitely gonna bling out my reader now. Sweet idea!

4 Likes

dang! you’re brilliant. i use the paypal triangle, but i have a lot of veneer. thank you for this awesome idea.

4 Likes

Great idea. And cute brand name. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Simple and clean. Well done.

4 Likes

Fabulous on the fly project! Really nailed it!

3 Likes

Great idea! I’ve just put some fun stickers on mine, but what a brilliant idea!!!
(though does it block the light display to indicate power/connection?).

2 Likes

The edges of the status lights peek out from behind it. You can’t see the entire light, but enough of a sliver to tell what’s going on with them.

1 Like

Great to know, thanks!
Now on my list is to design a version for myself–though I usually keep mine in the charging block, but combining a business card holder with the reader holder/sign system might happen, too!

1 Like

Anyone using PayPal Here for their payment system? And anyone pro’s/con’s to either?

1 Like

Clever. Looks great too!

1 Like

I use Paypal on my site and in person. It is cool that if you are savy to internet coding, you can make a virtually free shopping cart supported by PayPal’s buttons. I like that I can add inventory to the PayPal Here app. Cons though, if you have no signal or are in airplane mode, the app won’t open, meaning that there is no way to do batch processing. A work around is to write out credit card slips or use a knuckle buster and then type them in manually later.

Square allows you to hold the cc info for up to 6 hours, so if you are at a show with no signal, you can still read the cards. Plus, their website is a ton faster!
I literally just started a Square account today to have a non-electric, no signal backup. Ordered the free mag strip reader too. They have a neat referral program where your first $1000 of transactions are free if you use a referral link. Let me know if you’re interested :wink:

Also, I already told @nathan_p on Insta how much I love this (@3catmax) :heart_eyes_cat: So much so that I made logo’d cork stickies for both my tablet and my PayPal Here reader! Thanks for the inspiration! I’ll share the files once I clean my logo off them :rofl:

5 Likes

great idea

Hi, unrelated to the GF artwork but good tip for @jamely and @nathan_p , but when at one show and was double checking my pairing w/ bluetooth between my phone & Square chip reader, there were dozens of readers showing up! So be sure to note at least the last 4 digits of your code somewhere you can remember to check if needed, to ensure you pair with your own reader!! (I wrote mine on a sticker I have my business name on on the bottom of mine). Though I often just use the freebie swipe, since some shows its taken forever for the chip reader to wake up, and rather not have the customer standing around waiting…

3 Likes

Cool to know I wasn’t the only one lol I also made it for my small mini card reader. Sold a few since I made mine. Looks nice in that walnut though.

2 Likes

Any one try engraving out the backside where the lights are so the wood is thinner and the light can shine through?

1 Like

That’s fantastic!
And it’s one of those “Duh! Why didn’t I think of that?!”

1 Like

That’s brilliant!!!

You could probably cut out a sliver to go around the light without detracting from the overall design