Square Shot Glass Engraving Jig

Hello love the this Jig i have printed on some glasses with out it. But height can be a problem. i have managed to finally make the jig i have the glasses from Barconic but they do not fit. unsure of what i may have done wrong.
i am lost lol

I don’t see anyone saying those would work, just someone saying they were going to buy them. What are their dimensions?

2"x2 " rim 1.75 x 1.75 base and stands 2.5" high

2" is the “published” maximum material height but as most beds are less than 1.5" above the floor of the machine, and it can only print 0-0.5" above that, they may simply be too tall.

My bed height is 1.44". The glasses shown in the OP are 1.8" at the brim (those are what I have used.)

the glass will not sit in the Jig it is the width that seems to be the problem.

The jig was designed for the glasses in the OP. They are 1.8" at the brim. The ones you bought are 2".

I am so new to this, its like french to me. I really need simplicity. kudos to you for being so intuitive! Can I cut this file, remove my crumb tray, use a glass that fits in it and engrave? thanks sorry if im sounding ignorant but i guess i am when it comes to this…lol

Yes. If you buy the glasses that the OP used, you should not have a problem.

I don’t use a jig, but I have engraved those same glasses without issue.

thanks

I has something like this happen to me. It would work fine, then it wouldn’t. I put a small bit of masking tape on the glass. I think it is not “seeing” the glass.

OMG. I’m still waiting for my GF to get delivered, so I was just playing in the forum looking for ideas. My husband went to Harvey Mudd. You never see that school anywhere. Very cool. Might have to make him some of these.

4 Likes

Well. I gave it a try. Going to take some playing with to get settings right. All I did was assemble the jig, insert the glass, set height to .385. On the first one, (on a pro and using dish soap) I used 800/100/340. (that was the setting I found for glass on the GUG spreadsheet). That barely left an impression at all, so I ran it again at 800/full/340 and it was slightly readable. Then on the second one, it wouldn’t recognize any material (assuming it was just shining through the glass). So I put masking tape on the outside of the glass, no soap, and ran it at 700/full/450. It was more readable, but not much. I scrubbed them both out with electric toothbrush and they are barely readable, but when I run my finger over them, they are still very rough…like broken iphone screen rough.
So…any pointers on adjusting settings would be greatly appreciated…or on number of passes. Also, how do I get it to not feel like it is going to cut my thumb when it is done?
Inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

Here is what I used. (moved to the appropriate location).

Thx @evermorian, I hate moving the whole 60 post thread for this one entry :slight_smile: hopefully this gets it done. If not, please move the thread.

3 Likes

Glowforge requires us to confine discussion of manual settings in their forums to the Beyond the Manual category. The current preferred practice is to either move the entire thread to Beyond the Manual or, to start a new thread there and, link to it from this one.

Let us know if you would like this entire thread moved.

1 Like

You are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing everything!!

1 Like

What settings did you use? I am wanting to engrave a couple shot glasses I have. TIA!!

The settings are in the top post

This is amazing thank you for the jig file!

Do you happen to have created a gorgeous gift box for say, 2 or 4 of these at a time? :smiley:

Hi @bekktek - Sorry no :frowning:

I hadn’t even thought of that, but what great idea!

If you make or come across one, please let me know … and … If I get inspired and do something myself, I’ll be sure to tell you.

I’m glad this worked for you!
-Jeff

1 Like