Stained "Glass" Panels

Bought a new house and, for the first time I’m going to be in a single place long enough that I can start really digging in on making custom decor, designed to fir the specific space, so I don’t finish it just as I need to move.

I’ve been doing fake stained glass for a while – it was one of the first things I did on my Glowforge. These decorative windows offered me an opportunity to do something relatively small and quick with max impact. I cut the PETG pieces precisely to fit, though I also cut some small wood pieces that squeeze in behind to hold them in place. This way it can be changed in just a few minutes, as I make new designs or have seasonal decor.

And some close ups on individual panels:

For anyone curious, the paint is from Pebeo, called Vitrea (which is the water based, they also have a Vitrail which is solvent based) and you can find their full line of colors on dickblick.com.

50 Likes

Congrats on the new house and your opportunity to enhance it with your talent and a Glowforge. Your panels are a nice addition.

6 Likes

This is really nice!

4 Likes

Love working with the Vitrail colors. Nicely done!

4 Likes

Very cool

3 Likes

I love being able to truly personalize a space! You did a lovely job :smiley:

4 Likes

That looks great.

though in reality all projects get finished just before a move. my dad redid their master bath. the movers were hauling stuff out as he finished it.

I put down 1100 some odd square feet of LVP, and finished the quarter round 3 days before closing

so you likely are violating some kind of rule thinking that. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Very nice, congrats on your new home!

3 Likes

The house I moved out of was… perfect. The kitchen remodel switchplates went on just before showing. All done for someone else. Not this time. I finished 1200 square feet of walk-out basement and landscaping in the first two years, and have enjoyed it for 23. I’ve moved twice in 43 years. They will carry my carcass out of here.

6 Likes

LOL, I am in my forever home too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

COngrats on the house! It is nice to have a space you can do whatever you want with! Your designs are very nice! Love that you can change them at will! but the ones you are showing would be difficult to change. They are very fun to look at. Keep on lasering on!

3 Likes

Really like the designs, wonderful to see something very modern and crisp where it would normally be art nouveau roses or something equally ancient.

Hoping to move house in the next 2 weeks - I hope I can be as inventive as you when we get there.

4 Likes

Those look great! That’s one of the first things I did with my GF also, but I did cuts for my windchimes we made.

I have a goat too, but can’t find the photo. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh wow! You did an amazing job on those panels. I’ve used that Pebeo stuff (the solvent based one) and it really does give the look of stained glass.

3 Likes

Congrats on your new house, and the sidelight upgrade. Very nice work.

2 Likes

I’ve now made that statement in 3 different homes, in 3 different states. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think I will NOT say it this next time, so as not to tempt fate!

4 Likes

Congrats on your new home … and making it your own.