Stamp Making feature

I am trying to engrave a stamp out of acrylic. The engraving part is working wonderfully but when it comes time to cut out the stamp it is cutting through the whole stamp instead of just around the design. I used the stamp making feature from premium. I am using proof grade 1/4 acrylic so settings automatically came up as 500 speed, precision power 1, # of passes 1 and auto height for the cutting part.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong??? Thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Can you share a screenshot of your design along with the interface settings? Power of 1 won’t cut anything.

2 Likes

It cuts a square around the whole area, but engraves around the design so that when you stamp you only get the design…if shrinking the padding to something very small doesn’t do what you want I imagine you could use the outline feature first and then layer that over the stamp to cut closer line.

1 Like

stamp23

1 Like

Did you place a padding around this image? Can you share a screenshot of what the file looks like on the Glowforge and who the side of the interface listing the operations to perform along with speed/power/lpi?

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Do you want the rectangle cut out or not?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Your rectangle is set to cut at a speed of 500 and a power of 1. That is an incorrect setting and will not cut. What material is this. Also, are you engraving everything except the design so that the design will receive the ink?

2 Likes

It is 1/4" acrylic. Yes, the engraving comes out great but then the laser is going back over and eating up the whole design instead of cutting around the square.

You have your engraving set for 3 passes. Is that what you wanted to do?

1 Like

Yes, I am making this to stamp soaps when I make them. It seemed like 2 passes wasn’t enough so I changed it to 3. Should I maybe only do 2?

1 Like

No, I am trying to understand what you mean when you say the laser goes back and eats up the whole design.

1 Like

Let me see if I can take a picture of it and attach it to email.

2 Likes

The black spot is where the laser was cutting through the design. If I hadn’t gotten it stopped it would have just been a hole instead of a stamp.

1 Like

Can you export the file - click the three dots and select export and share it here. I really can’t guess where the additional cutting is coming from. Also thick acrylic settings are not 500/1. As I stated, power of 1 will not cut 1/4" acrylic. Something is strange.

1 Like

Are you certain it’s not the 3rd engrave pass that’s “eating through”? A cut operation simply can’t do what the picture shows.

1 Like

It was the padding. I changed it to the .005 and changed it to full power. It worked! Thanks for all your help!

2 Likes