Star Trek Bookcase - My most ambitious project yet

the STAR TREK CONVENTION is coming to Las Vegas, this week, and a friend is using my guestroom as crew quarters for the 5 day event (I’m 1/2 mile from the hotel)
I am making her a ‘gift’

96 steps, and I have no idea yet how long this job will take…
but it SHOULD be cool!

MORE TO COME

13 Likes

Hang on, what is this supposed to be? Like what are you up to?

96 steps sounds mental, like something’s amiss mental.

3 Likes

you call it mental, I CALL IT FUN!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:
Jonathan

I call it possibly super inefficient, especially if these are engraves.

Even if it’s cuts, 96 settings later and it’ll be quite easy to make a mistake in the UI (because it’s got horrible usability, but that’s another topic).

For real, talk it through, I bet we can help you get it wrangled.

1 Like

I could have reduced steps, made it simpler, but I think the random, powers / engraves / scores will give it a more ‘analog’ feel – not the clean lines digital delivers. The worth of a diamond is judged by its flaws. - this is not a deadline for a client (she arrives tomorrow) and it’s a gift to a trekkie. (who lusts already for some of my collectables) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is what “vary power” is for.

Seriously, this is super inefficient. You should be able to do this in one pass if it’s just a single engraved area.

5 Likes

Vary power does a nice job (I used it on Roy) but it’s consistent, (what its supposed to be) I want to throw in some human randomness… its for fun, I know you take your art / work / seriously.
and I appreciate your meticulousness (the RN/Nurse engraved showed your wonderful attention to detail) - lets see how this turns out.

:slight_smile:

I like the Enterprise.

2 Likes

Have at it :slight_smile:

WORST case scenario - REALLY FANCY firewood!!!

1 Like

With different shades of grey vary power would give different depths, and all in one pass.

3 Likes

Party in the USA.

Rube Goldberg for the win :wink:

2 Likes

lets see what the mousetrap looks like . . . .

well however you choose to run it, I hope it turns out well, it looks very ambitious!

1 Like

I’m incredibly intrigued. I hope it turns out well for you!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see it in 96 hours!

2 Likes

This will mean a lot to her! :gift:

hope she is still here when its done

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

You can always get Scottie to beam it (up) to her!