Startup issue - stuck at "Centering" step with no head movement

I made a thread for an issue where my machine becomes stuck in the “Scanning” step, but this seems to be a different issue.

I had a workaround for the scanning issue in that the machine was able to successfully scan at startup time. So I would place material, restart the machine, and was able to work, if slowly.

But now when I turn the power on and the machine lights up, there is the series of light ticks followed by a louder thunk from the back of the machine as it’s always done.

After that the dashboard reports the status as “Centering”, but the head never leaves the upper left corner of the machine.

Been a hard weekend for me and old glowface. :frowning_face:

EDIT: My other thread includes pictures of the cable connectors, but I felt the black cable where it passes over the metal lip on its way from the rear clip up to the lid, and there’s a distinct kink there. I’m not in the practice of jamming the lid open to 90 degrees, but I’m sure I’ve lifted it that high more than a few times over the years.

I also checked the connection from head to ribbon cable, and it seems secure.

The kink can happen over time, and might indicate a worn wire in the lid cable. Fortunately that is easily replaced, so just wait to hear from support. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks.

I had to temporarily set my etsy shop to vacation mode until I can get this sorted.
Fortunately I have enough parts printed to fill all but one current order, so I already messaged them and they’re not in a rush so it’s all good.

The fact I was able to restart for a while after I saw the scanning issue would seem to point to a different cause, but fingers crossed it’s an issue with the cable.

You never know…I’ve seen them do that as they are leading up to breakage. (Not in my machine, but in others who have described the problem.) Hopefully that’s all it is. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Since this has to do with your personal account, we will follow up with you through email! I’m going to close this topic.