Static Shock

I recently moved my machine now I get a static shock every time I touch the metal strip on the top. It’s plugged into an extension cord shared with a TV. 1 is ok to have both GF and TV in same cord? 2 if grounding is ok will a surge protector help 3 should I be using a surge protector anyway? I read conflicting comments on this… 3 what else can I do/check/fix it? Thanks

Support will only be able to tell you what’s in the manual, which is no extension cords, and don’t use a surge protector. :woman_shrugging: And I definitely wouldn’t recommend having it share an outlet with anything else, although that’s not likely the reason for the shocks.

It definitely shouldn’t be shocking you, so since it wasn’t before, there’s probably an issue with the outlet or the extension cord that you’re using.

1 Like

Winter is a time when folk build up charges just walking about. The power chair I was using could get a very large charge depending on the clothes I was wearing. I had to be careful around electronics, but found from experience that band would release the charge without damaging the Glowforge. Cool dry air allows more buildup than warm and damp.

Lets make sure it’s static and not an actual shock… If you grab hold of it does the shock continue? Or is it a little “pop” and done? One is normal for winter/dry conditions… and one is a real electrical problem that means you should remove the device from power immediately before it gets worse.

As stated above, using an extension and sharing with another appliance are not recommended by GF, and support won’t be able to help in that configuration.

If you’re actually getting a static shock, it means the machine is grounded correctly and you’re accumulating the charge as you walk around. You would expect the same if you touched any other grounded object - the screws of a (correctly grounded) light switch cover, for example. If that’s not the case, then there could be an issue with the outlet or the extension cord. It’s unlikely to be a grounding issue with the machine itself.

That said, there is no grounded electrical connection to the metalized strips on the front and rear of the lid. The strips on the side covers are grounded, by means of the metalized coating you see extended down inside the case to other grounded components. If you’re getting a shock from the lid, it’s likely “jumping” to the side plate edges, or the hinge mounting brackets.

Thank you for letting us know. The experience that you’ve had indicates a build-up of static electricity or an issue with the wiring to which your Glowforge is connected, as @eflyguy mentioned. Please make sure that your wiring is properly grounded and that it meets your local electrical code.

Regarding extension cords, we have performed extensive safety and performance testing with the Glowforge unit plugged into the wall. We haven’t done that with third party electrical products, so unfortunately we can’t recommend any.

Let us know if this helps!

It’s been a little while since I’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let me know and we’ll get it solved.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email