Steampunk Lab Book Nook

It’s hard to say how many hours…other than many LOL. I worked on it off an on for over a year. I will definitely be keeping this one. I may make some to sell in the future as I enjoy making them quite a bit!

3 Likes

Incredible! So inspiring! Thank you for sharing and all the detail photos!

2 Likes

Ok, so my anxiety level just shot up looking at this and imagining the patience that it must have taken to make. Awesome job! Great detail!! Love it!!

2 Likes

This is just a whole new level of fabulous!!!

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons that it took me a year to complete. When I got stuck on something, I’d put it away for a bit until I could work out what to do. I really like the freedom to come up with something completely original (though inspired by an illustration) but it’s also pretty daunting sometimes.

1 Like

We have missed your posts! What a re-entry! I love this so much! Thank you for posting and inspiring all of us!

2 Likes

This is just mind-blowing!! Bravo!!

My son (12 yrs) does Marvel stop-motion movies, and wants to make items for his sets. He was asking me for a type of “rubber” to make guns, etc… Can you recommend the best material to work with? We only have the Glowforge (no 3D printer).

Congrats again on your AMAZING work!

2 Likes

absolute magic

1 Like

Is he going to make/sculpt them himself? Foam clay is pretty cool. It’s air dry, doesn’t shrink noticeably and is very light. It can be painted as well.

1 Like

Thank you! He was thinking he could use the Glowforge to cut & engrave the shape (can silicon be used?) I’m envisioning a silicon-type sheet (like an acrylic sheet) but don’t know if that exists and/or is safe with the Glowforge(?)

I know that others have purchased rubber for making stamps and cut and engraved that. I have never tried. I have cut and engraved EVA foam but it’s hard to make tiny things with it because the kerf is so large. It melts quite a bit as you cut it. Maybe try searching for the stamp rubber in the Beyond the Manual section?

Great idea ~ the rubber for stamp material seems to be closest to what he was wanting. I’ll start researching that. Thanks again! (Can’t wait to show him your work ~ he will be blown away!)

1 Like

Setting him up with Blender and a small 3D printer might be just the thing to get him underway.

4 Likes

Wow. Speechless!

3 Likes

Simply stunning! Love the detain and finish of the entire project.

2 Likes

The detail in this knock is mind boggling! It reminds me of the Tiny Doors in Atlanta, which is like a door scavenger hunt in the big city (one of my fav activities!) Tiny Doors ATL (@tinydoorsatl) • Instagram

1 Like

I will have to check that out! I do a scavenger hunt competitive every year called GISH (gish.com)

2 Likes

I just saw this Kickstarter and immediately thought of this post! :smiley:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/japanbooknook/medeival-minialley-booknook?ref=bzlotg&utm_source=jellop&ja=jcf&utm_term=017.jcf&utm_content=Medieval_minialley-CL03&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1CP2YzVfDq_VBP6BbYYxmYJBmB1JqJDmMX9uPa1bSgBru44hplGdwoh_g&utm_campaign=1620084396712.ytlw

@traci_akierman For the record, I like yours way more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awww thanks. There are a lot of people getting into book nooks! The group I’m in on FB has 2,800+ members