Stencil Photo Painting

Great results from your method. I like the overspray effect.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. Another technique to explore.

6 Likes

Wow! You’ll be Banksy before you know it!

9 Likes

Sensational job on that! You really captured the detail wonderfully. Tagging @jbv because I know he does this too.

5 Likes

Cool, I’d love to see what they’ve come up with!

2 Likes

Nice job!
Depending on how careful you are with cleaning and drying them, card stock stencils can hold up for a while before they get too saturated and start to fall apart.
I really like using oilboard for stencils in the laser. It cuts great and doesn’t deform in the same way from moisture in the paint.

Here is my stencil post from a while back:

9 Likes

Nice stuff and good tips. Your results are sensational! I had similar ideas for hooking the stencils together, but as I’m thinking more layers my idea is a little different. I’ll let you know if I pull it off.

I’ve ordered a $50 cordless airbrush, should turn out cheaper than spray paints though you’d probably move faster with spray paints.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah that flappy stack has limits for sure. Certainly not an end-all technique! I’m interested to see what you come up with.

I’ve always had issues with airbrushes, probably from a lack of instruction. I’ve had some success with the airbrush attachment for Copic pens, but I always seem to turn back to the high-pigment, quick drying fine art sprays like Montana, MTN, and Belton Molotow.

3 Likes

My method will probably be be even floppier :wink:

Interesting about the sprays - I’m working in a non-well ventilated area and Acrylics have some upsides there. But if I’m unhappy with acrylics, I’ll look into sprays.

I’d like to match colors from real life/the base picture, though - and that seems like it would be easier with acrylics and airbrushes.

1 Like

I imagine you are right, especially if you learn to use the airbrush effectively!

The water-based mini cans from MTN are super low-odor (although you still want to use a respirator) but for your situation it sounds like an airbrush would be the best option.

5 Likes

Great idea!
Neat effect!

2 Likes

This is really great! I love messing with photos, appreciate you sharing your process, and would very much be interested in more details.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing how you did all it. And the last pic is why I always wear rubber gloves when using spray paint, or even Easy Tack, neither of which comes off the fingers very well!

3 Likes

Words to live by!

1 Like

Thanks for the how to. I’ve been wanting to do this. There are some classic portraits that really adapt to this. It nice to see it work for you just a normal but livable mug

2 Likes

Here’s my second image, 13 stencils in total.

6 Likes

I also added some shading to the painting, using a stencil to airbrush some dark color on the right side and some light color on the left side.

Btw, there are $50 battery driven airbrushes these days, in case anyone wants to try something similar!

4 Likes

Great technique, I really like the artwork, and completely agree on the Banksy comment! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. Next time, wear gloves!

1 Like

The Crafsman has a sign in the background of his videos that simply says;

3 Likes