Stopping in middle of a print

Our machine keeps stopping mid print. The fan stays on but the laser quits moving. Its happened multiple times and now I can’t get it to do more than the first few lines of the print. At first, it said it was needing to cool down, but its inside our garage where its about 55 degrees. I turned it off and tried start the print again. This time it stopped but didn’t say why. So I turned off the machine again. When it came back on, it wont stop “homing” and the button was glowing orange. Machine is less than a year old. We’ve had this issue multiple times. Its super frustrating. When it stops mid print, we have to either spend a ton of time changing the file to only be the remaining parts, or we have to grow away the material and start over.

Some help would be nice. I don’t think we’ve put more than 25hrs on the machine. Its crazy that its having these problems.

Sounds like you have multiple issues possibly, first off you are on the low end of the operating temps, I have seen before where it goes out of range low and gives the high temp error.
" Print when the ambient temperature is within the following ranges. Printing outside these ranges may cause your print to pause periodically or fail to complete.

• Basic and Plus: Between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 Celsius)
  • Pro: Between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius)"

Second issue sounds like a poor wifi connection from the machine back to your router.

4 Likes

Hello @meza.brayden - I’m sorry to hear you’re having some trouble, thank you for letting us know.

@primal_healer is definitely on the right track here in regards to making sure the printer is in a environment at the correct temperature. The room being too cold will likely cause the printer to delay in starting while it warms up, and may pause while needing to warm back if the room is cold enough.

If the printer could be moved to another room, or an option to warm the room up such as a space heater, that would be my recommendation here.

I extracted the logs from your printer and it’s possible as well that there’s a little bit of trouble with Wi-Fi contributing to your experience. It does appear that at points the printer is struggling to maintain a solid connection. In light of that, we’ve got some steps we like to recommend to help improve Wi-Fi behavior, please give these a try if you continue to have connectivity concerns:

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.