Storage and operating temperatures for the glowforge

@dan or glowforge staff, has there been an update for the storage and operating temperature ranges for the glowforge?

As we get close to getting the shipments to the masses done, I want to start looking as to where I am going to store it for regular use.

Even though I have ordered the air filter, I am not sure how it will perform inside the house - like a fryer, that has a filtration system, there is always a smell that permeates the house when we use it, so it might not be great for day to day use (but great if you need to take it to an enclosed space or use it in more comfortable surroundings).

The Garage would be a great place to keep and operate the device, as it would eliminate some of the concerns. In Maryland we don’t get very extreme temperature swings normally, but the Garage would certainly get in the upper 30s, and in the summer probably 90s.

If you don’t have that info yet (couldn’t find it in the FAQ), do you know when you will have it? Thanks

8 Likes

Must be an attached garage… About 12F is a normal winter low in Southern MD. But have seen zero and 110F.

3 Likes

It is an attached garage. It is usually about 20 or so degrees above the outside temperature. The house is also very well insulated.

2 Likes

Biggest issue I can see is that before you start the GF :glowforge: up, you will need to get it to human comfortable temperature range.

Very cold to very warm/hot will change the alignment of the beam and moving parts. If it is too cold/hot for your family, then you will want to get the room (and equipment) to that comfortable level for accuracy.

3 Likes

You probably also want to avoid uneven heating/cooling. So avoid that sunny window or pointing the AC at half the case.

2 Likes

I accept that as a general case, but I would still like to know the specs (if they are known at the time). It is something glowforge will need to publish as part of its manual.

True.

I would say that as the testing labs report their raw data back to Glowforge, then the operating specs can be solidified.

Since the laser tube is sealed and cooling does not require an external chiller unit, upper and lower operating temps would need to be verified (norms, safety and extremes) to the company warranty and liability lawyers satisfaction because we know there are idiots out there looking to score the lawsuit lottery ticket.

2 Likes

My K40 is in the garage. I don’t like working out there & standing around watching it when it’s in the 30s or 40s. The GF will live in the basement.

3 Likes

You just don’t want them to fight it out!

2 Likes

We don’t have that information yet, but will post here when we do (along with including it in the manual).

7 Likes

Thanks @dan. I figured I would ask - you would either have ir or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not an electro-mechanical engineer, but I am a computer networking engineer. I can’t site my source because it was quite a long time ago that I researched it but, as I understand it, a typical range for computer-type electronics (servers, workstations, print devices, etc.) should be ~0ºC through ~70ºC. I’d think you’ll be fine with the conditions you’ve stated. But we’ll see.

• Tom
1 Like

Latest specs from various laptop manufacturers for general comparison purposes:

Apple Macbook Pro:
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: –13° to 113° F (–25° to 45° C)

Lenovo Thinkpad:
Operating: 5.0°C to 35.0°C (41°F to 95°F)
Non-operating: 5.0°C to 43.0°C (41°F to 109°F)

Microsoft Surface 4:
Operating: 41–95°F (5–35°C)
Storage/transport: –104–140°F (–76–60°C)

What the heck is the Surface screen made out of? Doesn’t freeze until -104ºF?

4 Likes

Interesting. I don’t think 95F is at all a reasonable high operating temp. It’s often hotter here (New England) and we don’t always have a/c available. In fact, I’ve used all of those in temps higher than 95 before.

We’ve become wussified if we don’t expect our tools to work in temps that are still under 100F (and those folks in the southwest would laugh at even that temp).

2 Likes

Agreed – My car goes well above 113F in the summer and I’ve never had problems with my MBP in the trunk. I bring it in if it’s going to freeze overnight, though. :wink:

2 Likes

well, chances are good that it’s not nearly as hot in the trunk as it is in your car barring a hatchback, but even then it’s not like you’re running it in the sunlight at 113. as long as the batteries and stuff can stay cool, it’ll mostly be fine at that temp. i mean the CPU gets much, much hotter as a matter of course.

I’ve been told there is a problem with some manufacturer’s screen cracking in the not so extreme cold.

Always thought my co-workers were crazy for insisting bags ride up front with them to be heated. but Maybe not.

Yeah, the LCD screens had cold/freezing issues, but current LED screens don’t.

The problem is old habits die hard.

they’re both LCDs, barring OLED displays; the only difference was the backlighting. CCFLs didn’t work as well in the cold, but that didn’t have anything to do with the cracking.

There can be a big diff between the operating temperature limits of the components and the operating temperature limits of the device, especially on the upper side. To a first approximation, if your chips are running at 65C when the ambient temp is 20C, they’re going to be at 80C when ambient is 35. On the cold side, you only need one tiny place inside the machine to be at condensation point…

1 Like