Storage rack to fit DeWalt Medium Tough Case- Update 1 - Ikea Skadis

Greetings -

Just wanted to share the little storage rack design I made to fit my ‘small standard’ containers. I use the DeWalt Tough Case 8 compartment ones found at HD and Lowes for $7ea.

I mainly use SurePly plywood underlayment found at Lowes so I’ll include that file, but you can also use Proofgrade Thick Draftboard and I’ll include that file as well. Only difference is the Proofgrade has a slightly larger hole as the PF is .01" thicker than the SurePly.

Plan fits on one 12" x 20.5" sheet of PF Draftboard and has a full set of pieces to make two storage racks.

I give the surface a light sand to accept paint better, and I don’t bother sanding the edges.

Just a tiny bit of glue on the ends of the sticks and wait for it to dry.

Then hit it with a couple layers of flat black, and a couple layers of clear coat.

Bling…

I made them angled so the storage containers would fit upright to save space in my DeWalt work bench drawer and still be able to close the drawer and see what’s in each at a glance.

Which has the added benefit of nesting nicely on your work top without taking up a ton of room.

I have tons of these small containers and just set up the ones I’m going to use on the bench top for any given job. You might also notice, the containers have a little notch in the plastic case on either side which I spaced the rack uprights to snug into. So when they are in the drawer sideways and you open and close the drawer they don’t slide front to back in the rack.

Anyway, it’s a nice little palate cleanser build when you want something simple and easy to snap together. You could also put letters or other shorter items in them as well I suppose. Just wanted to share and hope you find it useful.

HL

Thick Draft Small Storage Stack
Sureply Small Storage Stack

71 Likes

Very nice! :grinning:

7 Likes

Great pratical design. Thanks! I love all things storage, though, so this is kind of dangerous. Do I want some of those little cases? Kind of…

12 Likes

Really nice share. Thank you!

5 Likes

:wink:

11 Likes

A person after my own heart is fighting the on slot of organizational chaos.

6 Likes

That’s a cool practical cut. Also that plaque, “That looks like a tomorrow problem.” Is that the “wet paint” reminder?

9 Likes

Nice share and description.

4 Likes

Big thank you for sharing.

Keep creating

4 Likes

Thanks. No, I just needed to clear coat that too, but that would work. I like that saying to keep me from getting derailed onto some (other) thing that needs to be done, when I notice it while working on something already. Or for when someone at my day job hands me an issue to resolve, but my day is already booked with fires… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

May I borrow the sentiment? I need that kind of direction sometimes.

4 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

You know… modify this and it might be an amazing replacement for those stupid Tupperware lids >_>

8 Likes

Nice visibility and utilization of space both, a winner!

4 Likes

Great share and awesome organization!

4 Likes

This is pretty spectacular!!!

4 Likes

Excellent, thanks for sharing!!!

2 Likes

Very nice practical cut! Thank you so much for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you for your very helpful design, and all the instructions that go with it!

2 Likes

I might have start buying this container, so I have to build this holder for them! great job! Thanks for the share, truly appreciate it!

4 Likes