Store Credit for Failed PG?

This might have been discussed before but I couldn’t find a better way to get support. When a more pricey proofgrade sheet fails using proofgrade settings, does GF consider offer any sort of compensation or store credit?

Failed to cut through the PG walnut.

1 Like

If it turns out to be a fault in manufacturing, they have offered a credit in the past for bad material. But…the faults tend to be visible vugs in the material, not a failure to cut through in one pass. You always have the option of sending a second cut to make sure the cut is complete before removing the material from the bed…if you don’t shift the backing material between the cuts, the second pass will finish the cut perfectly. (I pin down the material with the honeycomb pins to make sure it’s always flat, and if it doesn’t cut through completely the first time, a second pass takes care of it. You can use a little piece of rolled up tape to lift the cut to see if it is complete, or there are other methods if you are interested.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Love your points! I couldn’t see any flaws in the material I just got spoiled by every draft board and acrylic cut working the first time I didn’t do a sanity check before moving the hole thing. Lesson learned.

Like Jules I pin all my stuff down and then make sure that the stuff is going to pop out. Usually I use a dull razor blade to try and yank the pieces out. I’ve had this problem pretty often on my draft board. If your material isn’t flush with the honeycomb or if the material isn’t uniform with it’s height, the focal point of the laser isn’t hitting where it should, so it can cause this sort of thing to happen. The pins are one of the best ways to help with that, plus it helps to keep your board from moving in case you do need a second run through. I turn the power down on the second day pass if I do need another cut, that aay it doesn’t charge too much of what did get through.

2 Likes

ROFL! I’ve got them in colors from acrylic, wood, three or four different lengths (paper, 1/8" and 1/4" material) and they wind up scattered all over the office. But I can’t do without them! :smile:

3 Likes

Looking through the forum to find all sorts of solutions now for my future cuts - I just had a false sense of trust in the material and the machines ability to adjust to mild curvature or variation. I do make it a habit of checking that the stock lies flat before cutting. Thanks for adding to the discussion!

1 Like

Make sure you have a regular cleaning regimen, too. It’ll help keep from losing power.

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know about this!

I’ll be in touch via email shortly with additional details. I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic.