"Straddler" Honeycomb Pins for Crossing Support Bars

Like many of you, I’ve found the honeycomb hold-down pins designed by @eljefe4 to be endlessly helpful. However, there are times when I want a pin right dead-center in the bed, or otherwise in a position where one of the y-axis supports under the honeycomb is in the way. So I utilized aspects of a version created by @DesignsByPhil and made two types of straddling pins: Big Straddler and Lil’ Straddler.

I cut these on medium draftboard, but would love to hear what materials work best for others. For cutting, I tweaked the Proofgrade cut slightly by taking the power from full down to 100 and giving it two passes (183/100/2x). I find this is guaranteed to cut through completely, but less likely to cause charring/brittle points.

For the engravings, I kept the letters in vector format and went with 1000/65/1x for zooms/pews/passes. If you decide to rasterize and use vary power, a similar depth can be achieved on draftboard with color hex code #8c8c8c.

Hope others find these helpful!

Straddlers

159 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for these. I will try them out.

8 Likes

Thanks, always looking for more ways to pin.

6 Likes

There goes a bunch more scraps, thanx

7 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! You just made me realize I ought to do something with my profile, so thanks for that as well! Can’t lurk forever. :laughing:

6 Likes

Great :slight_smile: Thank you!

6 Likes

That’s an eloquent entrance. Welcome, and thanks! Good idea.

6 Likes

Simply brilliant.

5 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks!

7 Likes

Very good idea! Thank you for sharing this.

7 Likes

Welcome!! Thanks for sharing your file. I’ll also find these useful for using as guides when I just want to place things in the same spot but don’t want to make a jig. Awesome!

8 Likes

Thank you for this share. I needed this and will use them often.

4 Likes

I have a bucket of hold down pins next to Skippy the Laser. I guess I’ll need to add a bucket of these!

Thanks!!!

6 Likes

Oh, this is a fantastic addition to the laser-it-yourself must have tools! Thank you for sharing your derivative work, it is excellent!

6 Likes

Brilliant idea. These will be useful for sure. Thanks for the share.

6 Likes

As @ellencadwell pointed out, these work very well as guides, perhaps moreso than as hold-downs. That got me thinking about right angles, and so I modified the Straddlers to make the “Always Right”. Hope y’all find it helpful as well!

7 Likes

The Big Straddler is perfect to hold down corners of leather! Thank you, this is exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I feel like “the big straddler is perfect for holding down leather” is one of those sentences you’d really have to explain if someone heard it out of context. :rofl:

I’m so glad that it’s been helpful to you. I’ll remember this, as I’m going to be playing around with some leather next week!

…in the GF, to be clear.

14 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

great way to make an entrance. Thank you for the share (great practical cut!), and welcome to the forum.

5 Likes