Strange homing behavior

I cut out some coasters earlier (successfully), turned the Glowforge off, and had dinner. When I turned it back on a minute ago, it started homing and then drove the head all the way to the left and kept going, making a disturbing grinding noise. I cut the power, turned it back again, and again tried to drive past the left edge. I turned it off again and manually moved everything toward the middle, turned it back on, and this time it drove the gantry all the way to the top and kept going in the Y direction. I would have assumed there were limit switches somewhere and it doesn’t home like an Apple II disk drive. I hadn’t noticed this behavior or sounds before, so I’m concerned.

1 Like

Here’s a video I recorded of that third time when it hit the top and tried to keep going. I quickly killed the power.

While waiting for this video to process, I tried one more time, first moving the head right under the camera. That seems to have done the trick. I just hope all of this ramming against the stops hasn’t affected my previously excellent alignment.

1 Like

Has happened to almost every machine. Some more than others. Though have not experienced it moving to the top stop in months. If it continues , move head to center for cal step. Support still needed to know.

4 Likes

I thought the recalibration instructions were explicit in that you needed to reposition the head directly under the camera, not “somewhere” in the middle of the bed before turning the power back on. People should read more closely. :slight_smile: From the looks of your video, you were off by a long shot.

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

Sorry, which recalibration instructions would those be?

Also, you’ll note in my original post that all I did was turn the machine off after a print (with the head in its parked position) and turn it back on later. Does this invisible manual also say you’re not supposed to do that?