Strong smell with Air Filter

I recently received the glowforge and compact air filter, and have been using it. It’s awesome! However, the compact air filter doesn’t seem to be working correctly. For instance, while cutting some acrylic, the smell started to be unbearable and had to stop usage. (It’s happened with other proofgrade materials)

Any suggestions?

Have you turned the fan up? IIRC, the fan should be ran at the lowest speed necessary, where you don’t smell anything, and then turned up as needed.

3 Likes

I kept it low since I just got the filter (to try and make it last longer), but I can try and turn it up to see if that helps.

2 Likes

Probably know this but worth a check.
In the bed image there is a gear icon on the top row.
Selecting it allows you to let the glowforge know you are using a filter.
If I remember right it increases the fan speed?

2 Likes

Actually, it does the opposite. It disables the exhaust fan. How do I know? I’m glad you asked. It’s like the red tag on the red cord of the automatic garage door that says, “Do Not Pull”.

10 Likes

Thanks for the help @brokendrum and @jbmanning5!

@mmoyer After you have used the filter for a while, the filter cartridge will start to fill and more power will be required to move the air through the Compact Filter.

I’ve left this thread open. Let us know if you’re still experiencing a strong smell after increasing the fan power.

I haven’t heard from you so I’m going to close this thread. If the problem reoccurs, please feel free to start a new topic.