Stuck at ALERT Cooling & Unresponsive

Need some help with our unit… this is our second pro unit. Glowforge was restarted a few times. Wifi was reset but still unresponsive. Currently, the button glows orange (steady on). Please help!

What is the ambient temperature where the Glowforge is? Is this after starting an engrave? Or you haven’t yet been able to start anything?

2 Likes

I also have a professional unit and I have the same problem with the yellow button, I am an international customer and I can not replace is a lot of shipping money, there must be a solution for this!

2 Likes

The operating environment is described here:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/safety/operating-environment

If you’re working within those temperatures and still stuck with a cooling alert (can’t even start), there may be a problem with a fan, a coolant pump or a temperature sensor or some other problem with your machine.

The most common difficulty though is that the ambient temperature is too high. The Glowforge likes it cool.

2 Likes

Last try was last night around midnight (Houston). During the day was 90s and nights 70s. I was unable to start anything and I was not cutting or engraving anything prior. I have not work with the machine for a few weeks.

Your Glowforge Pro features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s boosted by a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that allows for heavier use at higher ambient temperatures than the Basic. It is designed to print in an operating environment between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius). Printing outside these ranges may cause your unit to pause before starting, or to pause periodically during the print for cooling. This isn’t harmful, but it can make your print take a little longer.

You can try any of these things to improve warm-weather performance:

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.

• Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it could make cooling less effective.

• Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.

• Power off your Glowforge and allow it to cool, then power it on and print immediately. When it sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up.

If you are venting outdoors, ensure that changing conditions do not cause extreme temperatures or humidity to enter the Glowforge unit through the exhaust hose. Disconnect the hose from the outside air when the Glowforge is not in use.

Additionally, if you are using your Glowforge in a room that meets operating environment guidelines and you are still running into trouble, please let us know the following so that we can make sure everything is ship shape:

• A description of the steps you took, what happened and what you expected
  • The temperature of the room where you are currently using your Glowforge
  • The date and time (including time zone) when you saw the button change color
  • Photos of your exhaust setup
1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.