Stuck Calibrating... for Hours

My Glowforge Pro is “Calibrating” has been since about noon yesterday. Monitoring it’s WIFI connection, it has sent over 16 Mbytes and received about 1Mbyte other than that no sign of activity.
The app notices when I open the Lid, and says it is “scanning” when I refresh the image, but the image is not updated. 15 hours later it is still sending and receiving data on the WIFI.

So just now. I retrained the glowforge to our WIFI (button for 10 secs till green light then setup).

Glowforge retrained successfully. power off for 5 minutes, power on … goes back to calibrating.

Turned it off again, waited, powered on with lid open. Heard the head move slightly. App showed offline, and then Lid Open. Closed the lid. Briefly saw white light on button, then back to Calibrating.

Monitored WIFI. Over a twelve minute period the Glowforge sent 2,424,878 bytes and received 98,278 bytes.

Weird that it is sending so much, while receiving so little…

Really would like to be able to go back to work, losing money this way.

It upload pictures and downloads simple motion commands while calibrating , so it will send a lot more than it receives.

1 Like

Perhaps it is having trouble seeing the head rather than trouble with the wifi. This can happen to me if I’ve got sunlight from the nearby window hitting the top glass of the Glowforge. It seems to confuse it quite a bit.

2 Likes

I workaround it by covering the top with a blanket until it succeeds at calibration.

Thanks. I have tried it with the head in the home position and under the camera, have cleaned the lenses, and we have the whole unit in a box so we can pump cool air in when its running which keeps the external light under control:hammer:. No luck.

Thanks for letting us know about this. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.