Stuck "Centering"

This is day 2 where, when I turn the glowforge pro on, it doesn’t set up like usual, and the screen stays on “centering”. And the last thing I lasered still shows on the screen even though I have removed it from the machine. After I went through the trouble shooting steps I chatted with “staff” and they had me check the 5 clips on the lid to see if any were loose. My pro is only 2 months old so I wasn’t surprised that the clips were tight. I have been lasering a lot of ceramic tiles so I wondered if the residue was built up somewhere. I cleaned it the printer thoroughly. Could it be the exhause fan? I can’t figure this issue out. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

1 Like

I’m so sorry for the trouble. I replied to you via email earlier today regarding this issue, in which we determined that a part needed to be replaced in order to get you back up and printing. We’ve ordered that part for you, and you’ll receive the tracking info in a separate email as soon as it ships. Could you please check for the email I sent, and let me know if you haven’t received it? I’d be glad to send it again.

1 Like

Often “stuck on centering” is that data is not making it to the cloud. That can be machine based (the clips) or WiFi based - if you have the ability to open a hotspot on your phone you can try connecting to that and see if it moves forward - if not

Turn off the :glowforge:
Turn off your WiFi router/modem
Wait ~30 seconds
Reboot the WiFi
When WiFi is completely up and running
Reboot the :glowforge:
Cross fingers :slight_smile:

Also if you have the ability to assign/change channels on your router that’s been known to help. A strong connection (multiple Mbs) will still have issues if it has even micro-second blips of no connection. The :glowforge: will lose a packet and then it has to start it’s centering over again. You need a solid connection, even if it’s slower.

2 Likes

Thank you! I received your email. Thank you for your help. It just doesn’t look like anything is wrong with the clips or ribbon cables, but I notice in the forum that many owners are having the same problem, so hopefully it’s an easily fixed defect with the new cable/clips. Why just the bottom cable and not the cable to the camara, since the camara wasn’t catching what was in the tray? Just curious. I’m confident you guys are sending the “fix”. The email said I should expect it within 10 days. Please notify me if it will be longer, seeing as how several customers need this part, also.
Thank you!

The black cable connects the camera, door sensors and LED lights to the controller inside the GF. It also flexes as the door is open. A problem with that cable or it’s connections would cause what you are seeing. And it is one of the few user replaceable parts (with detailed instructions). Only support can look at your logs to see if that is the likely solution.

1 Like

Thank you!

The new cable worked great the first time. Thanks for the detailed instructions and the cable!

2 Likes

Tell the truth, you were a little nervous when it came time to permanently stick it on there, right? :wink:

1 Like

Ohhhh yeah!

Thanks for letting us know. I’m glad to hear that! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!