Stuck on Focusing - Brand new machine

My GF is on a day old. Ive used it to engrave maybe 10 projects. The last project I did was a larger one on Certified Material. The project completed after 4 hours. Now it keeps saying “focusing the head of your GF” and the big button on the top of the machine is yellow. I have cleaned all the windows and lenses that are in the manual. I have restarted the GF multiple times. Please help

I should also tell you that the picture of the GF bed from the last project remains when the design screen comes up. Like it wont refresh the picture.
Mike

Hard to say without looking at your logs. Might check the ribbon cable that connects to the head. Make sure the ribbon is laid correctly, that none of the pins are damaged, and that it’s installed fully on the head.

You might look at the post “Glowforge Plus wont go past centering” as I was having a similar problem. It also started right after completing a project. May or may not be the same issue, but worth a read. All in all, I believe mine was a weak wifi issue.

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like your Glowforge is connected and you’ve been able to print since contacting us. That’s great!

Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing any problems?

It started working again, so I did a couple more projects. Now stuck again. I have cleaned all lenses and mirrors. It is still saying “focusing” and the big button is amber again. I need a machine that is reliable. I certainly expected more out of a $5000 machine. I would like to return the GF.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I posted a response to that Private Message you sent…once you get the Wifi issues straightened out and a good stable connection in place, these things rarely get stuck. So try a few of those and see if any help. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am in the central time zone and have had trouble all day. My GF has been off for 3 days as I was out of town. It didnt work for 1-2 days before that either.

I’m so sorry for the trouble. The logs are now showing there is a problem communicating with the head. Can you try the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.

4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.

5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.

6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.

7. Turn your Glowforge back on.

8. Send us the photo of the gold pins from step 4.

Whats the next step now?

Mike

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.