Stuck on FOCUSING for 3rd day! Don't need an expensive door stop!

It was suggested I have a weak wifi signal.
27" iMAC connects fine.

3rd day is moving beyond my patience now.
Need a GOOD SOLID CORRECT REMEDY from GF TECH PROBLEM SOLVERS>>>PLEASE!!!
Pb2u2

Two suggestions from this user - try your phone hot spot to rule out a WIFI issue

Replace the black lid cable.

4 Likes

You most likely have a weak WiFi signal - how your computer connects has nothing to do with it. I’m sure you’ve been sent a series of things to try - but as you don’t talk about trying anything I’ll point you to this:

Try all the things, in order, and let us know how each of them goes. The staff can test from the back end whether your connection is weak, but it’ll take them a day or so to respond to this open ticket.

3 Likes

I attempted to use it this afternoon, prior to reading these responses. Still stuck in focusing. My previous attempts on Thursday or Wednesday found that when turning the GF on, at times the lights did not even come on like it had no power. Not sure if that indicates anything, but mention it just in case. I will try the suggestions Re: Wi-Fi on Saturday. Thanks you guys.

1 Like

If the rest of the machine was powering up correctly, this sounds like the cable that goes from the bottom electronics up to the lid. Repeated and full extension of this cable from the lid movement breaks down and wears out the cable.

Support can tell you more definitively or not.

3 Likes

Okay, folks…. Thank you guys for various things to try, unfortunately there is no change, it is still stuck on focusing….focusing…focusing…
The description of using finder/applications/utilities and etc produced nothing. It suggested a test would run…but nothing.

So, I am 70 yo, don’t have time to play try this, try, try, try…….I just want my GF to work as it has been described that it should/would/could. I’ve re turned it once last year for repair. Don’t have another $1000 to drop.

Oh well, I’ll check next week to see if any GF techie has advice.
Thanks all…and HAPPY THANKSGIVING from Kentucky! :+1:

Are you considering replacing the black lid cable?

This doesn’t appear damaged, but, It is possible. Thanks.

Will that solve the stuck on focusing issue at all?

1 Like

Restarting my computer fixed that issue for me not sure if it was coincidence or not though. Try that if you haven’t.

I am so sorry you are having this trouble. I can’t get much help either.

@pb2u2 I am so sorry your Glowforge printer is stuck on focusing.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let us know how it goes!

I will retest the Wi-Fi connection this afternoon. That is what some have said might be the issue.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 1:04 PM, Glowforge <support@glowforge.zendesk.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 1:04 PM, Glowforge <support@glowforge.zendesk.com> wrote:

Today I did as instructed Re: Wi-Fi, plus I did the cleaning again of lens.
WooHoo! It’s no longer a heavy doorstop! Lol
Thanks, everyone for your help and advice. I’m smiling again. :crazy_face:. Andrew Pb2u2

1 Like

Just redid every thing Re: Wi-Fi PLUS cleaned lens again. Yes, it is working. Thank you?

@pb2u2 YAY! I am so glad everything is now working. If you ever have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.