Stuck saying focusing

I cut proofgrade medium draftboard and when it was done it says its focusing and its been like that for 10 minutes. I have cleaned the camera, and checked the connections by following the troubleshooting instructions. What can I do to get this working again? This was only my third time using it.

1 Like

Might have dropped a signal somewhere along the way…try turning off the machine and re-opening the file.

1 Like

I think that might have been it, I gave it a little time and its working again. It just worried me since I am so new to this.

Thanks

2 Likes

I did another project and it stuck again after that. It makes a clicking noise but thats it. I emailed support and I am waiting to hear back. I am so frustrated, I don’t know what else to do.

1 Like

The clicking sound is normal. That is the lens moving in the printhead to focus.

It sounds to me like your wifi is dropping the Glowforge. Can you try running the Glowforge from your phone hot spot?

2 Likes

For future information - posting here also informs support, so you now have 2 open tickets. They’ll come here and close this one since the presumption is that since you emailed you didn’t want to discuss it in the open forum. Next time just do one or the other :slight_smile:

Also, ditto @dklgood’s suggestion, it sounds like your WiFi is dropping out - it doesn’t need it while it’s running a job, but as soon as it’s done it’ll send another signal and if your WiFi has dropped that’s when you end up stuck in focusing.

1 Like

Oops, I didn’t know it went to support on here as well. In the future I will only do one.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with your new Glowforge. I want to help troubleshoot so you can begin creating!

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let us know how it goes!

I have done step one. I am not using magnets. I have also done step 3 and I did feel it click back into place

I did step 1, I am not using magnets, and I unplugged the head and plugged it back in and it did click when plugged in.

What are the next steps to try to fix this issue?

Thank you for running through those steps. After reviewing the information, the next step will be replacing your printer head. I am going to reach out via email shortly to get the process started. Thank you for reaching out about this trouble through the forum!