Stuff to Engrave on Pencils

I could make a bunch for our family that say “Yoohootie did it!” (Although I have no idea how it’s supposed to be spelled!)

1 Like

A variant…

1 Like

Huh. I thought I had Googled it once upon a time, but if so, I obviously didn’t do it right!

I found “Yahootie:” https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yahootie

1 Like

Oh! Something I learned recently from my daughter-in-love that would make a good pencil thing: "Absit Omen."

(It’s kind of like “knock on wood,” only cooler.)

3 Likes

I’m particular to following if we’re doing Latin:

Per aspera ad astra or just ad astra

or

Illegitimi non carborundum

2 Likes

Noli habere bovis, vir

3 Likes

Non cogito ergo dim sum – I think not, therefore I am brunch

Or, if you want to stick with the obscure sci-fi references:

Hey, Zooty! Zoot! Zoot!

4 Likes

Okay, how about messages the change as the pencil gets shorter?

2 Likes

I love this idea…but, only if you could figure out something that would still make sense as the pencil became shorter and shorter.

“did you hear the one about the preacher and the rabbi” (sharpen pencil)
"did you hear the one about the preacher…
"did you hear the one about…

I’m sure someone could come up with a good one that would do that

5 Likes

The classic:

6 Likes

Ooh, I like those. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@evansd2 suggested that too, but I haven’t thought of any good ones yet.

2 Likes

Haha! Funny but not funny. Good example, though. :grin:

1 Like

How about date marks that count down how much more Glowforge warranty you have? You’ll either have to sharpen extra to keep up or not write so much to keep it accurate, depending on your habits.

2 Likes

If using hexagonal pencils, one side is all 1’s, the next 2’s, and so on. You now have a six sided die, just roll the pencil.

4 Likes

Individual pencil serial numbers.

3 Likes

Notes & Queries, V.1 & 2, compiled by Brian Whitaker, Fourth Estate, London, 1990, 185 & 216pp, 6 pounds sterling each…

Another entry was on the meaning of the curious nonsense riddle Why is a mouse when he spins? and its even sillier answer, The higher, the fewer. This was one of my father’s favorites. The most interesting answer was that it is not altogether nonsense - properly it should go “How is a mouse when it spins? - The higher, the fewer.” And the meaning had to do with the centrifugal governor on an old steam engine - the weight was called the mouse, and as the engine rpm increased the mouse would rise due to centrifugal force. But as the mouse rose, the arm would force the steam valve in the more closed direction, thus reducing the rpm, that is, the higher (the mouse), the fewer (rpms). So for a given setting of the mouse on the arm, the engine would run at a constant speed.

4 Likes

Cool! Love to discover the history behind things…

1 Like

Do a countdown.

10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1

and if you print in the right direction you’ll count down as you sharpen the pencil :rocket:

4 Likes