Stuff to Engrave on Pencils

It’s week 6 since my ankle surgery. Yesterday morning I actually woke up feeling somewhat human. When my husband drove me to work I decided to leave the scooter in the car, and crutched my way from the parking lot all the way into the building and to my office in the back, and didn’t have to stop to rest even once. And then the full moon effect kicked in (yeah, yeah, the research says there’s no such thing, but they’re WRONG. Ask any nurse.) and I got slammed, and by 4pm I was dying. So today instead of being downstairs happily burning perfectly aligned holes in stuff with Snapmark-enabled lasers (which I STILL haven’t gotten to do since they magically appeared on my screen, darnit!), I’m back to being wiped out with my foot elevated. And naturally, I’m bored. sigh

I’ve long since used up all my likes (in retrospect, I could have charted my recovery by how many times per week that happened to me!), so in anticipation of possibly being upright enough to navigate the stairs tomorrow, I started browsing the Web for appropriate quotes for lasering onto pencils. And then I thought I might as well share them with the rest of you. So here’s a start. (Just “pencil” and “writing” quotes, so far.) Please chime in if you have some good ones to share!

• “A #2 pencil and a dream can take you anywhere.” - Joyce Meyer

• “Map out your future - but do it in pencil.” -Jon Bon Jovi

• “It’s not how big your pencil is; it’s how you write your name.” -Dave Mustaine

• “Practice smiling by holding a pencil between your teeth for 20 minutes.” -Amy Cuddy

• “With pencil, you can always erase.” -Sue Monk Kidd

• “I just start with a pencil and paper.” -John Malkovich

• “If I put pencil to paper, music comes.” -John Philip Sousa

• “Everyone makes mistakes — that’s why pencils have erasers.”

• “Make your life a story worth telling.”

• “Happiness is a sharp pencil.”

• “Everything you do leaves a mark.”

• “I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.” -Mother Teresa

• “Daydreaming with pencil and paper is a respectable form of meditation.” -John Howe

• “Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing.” -Ben Franklin

• “I’m writing a book. I’ve got the page numbers done.” -Stephen Wright

• “Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers.” -Isaac Asimov

• “You fail only if you stop writing.” -Ray Bradbury

• “Writing can be an incredible mindfulness practice.” -Jon Kabat-Zinn

• “Good writing is like a windowpane.” -George Orwell

45 Likes

“Squeeeeeeee!” - Jules :wink:

3 Likes

Ahhh, making @Jules squeee always makes the day a little brighter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ROFL! No - that’s the quote. (I left off the marks.) :rofl:

7 Likes

Well, shoot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Those are good ones! Keep ‘em coming!

Say, how about riddles? Question on one side, answer on the other.

No worries…I’m sleep deprived to an alarming degree at the moment. Everything seems funny.

1 Like

Ceci n’est pas un crayon

6 Likes

That would not be logical.

Ooh! Of course now I can’t think of any riddles…

1 Like

Q: What’s brown and sticky?

A: A stick.

Humor level: meta

• Engrave it on a brown pencil and don’t include the answer.
7 Likes

“This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.”

“There were pencils in it marked “B” for Bear, and pencils marked “HB” for Helping Bear, and pencils marked “BB” for Brave Bear”

-A. A. Milne

4 Likes

“I stole this pencil from (your name here)”

4 Likes

Personally, I loved this one…even if no one else did. Sort of like naming your black cat, Chien Noir.

4 Likes

That’s one of the favorites of folks I load up with pencils :slight_smile: Favorite enough that it seems to encourage stealing them.

7 Likes

Magritte-approved. :sunglasses:

I pulled out all the short quotes from my personal collection of favorites. (I also got tired of typing quotation marks. Sorry.) Enjoy.

• Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip

• If you cannot be a poet, be the poem. ~David Carradine

• Life is too important to be taken seriously. ~Oscar Wilde

• Never talk faster than you think. ~Niels Bohr

• Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them. ~Albert Einstein

• One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries. ~A. A. Milne

• Only the shallow know themselves. ~Oscar Wilde

• People keep telling me I can be a great man. I’d rather be a good one.~John F. Kennedy Jr.

• People who make history know nothing about history. You can see that in the sort of history they make. ~Gilbert K. Chesterton

• Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. ~Albert Einstein

• Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. ~Carl G. Jung

• Some things have to be believed to be seen. ~Ralph Hodgson

• The best defense against logic is ignorance.

• The examined life is no picnic. ~Robert Fulghum

• The faster you go, the shorter you are. ~Albert Einstein

• The more you complain, the longer God makes you live.

• The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~ee cummings

• The only failure is not to try. ~George Clooney

• The only normal people are the ones you don’t know very well. ~Alfred Adler

• The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once. ~Albert Einstein

• The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. ~George Bernard Shaw

• The road to hell is paved with adverbs. ~Stephen King

• The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ~Bertrand Russell

• The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. ~Albert Einstein

• There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. ~Gilbert K. Chesterton

• There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. ~Niels Bohr

• There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce. ~Mark Twain

• There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. ~Andrew Jackson

• Through love all pain will turn to medicine. ~Rum

• To ease another’s heartache is to forget one’s own. ~Abraham Lincoln

• To forget one’s purpose is the commonest form of stupidity. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

• We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are. ~Anais Nin

• Whatever you are, be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln

• When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. ~Mark Twain

• Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. ~Oscar Wilde

• You cannot save people, you can only love them. ~Anais Nin

7 Likes

Why does a mouse when it spins?

Because the higher the much

1 Like
  • Don’t Panic. - Douglas N Adams
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so - DNA
  • I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. - DNA
  • You live and learn. At any rate, you live. - DNA

And a few things people hear at work a lot

• Invisible Demand Yields Invisible Parts
  • You’re killing me (and if you put this on a pencil, misspell YOUR)
4 Likes

:heart_eyes:
I’ve never met anyone outside our family who’s ever heard of that one. I do wonder where Grandpa got it from!

1 Like