Successful crafting business in Hawaii

In April of this year we decided to get a Forge and try out some Koa wood crafting. We are now running two Forges full throttle, participating in three craft markets each week, and generally just succeeding at the whole Glowforge based small business concept. Really enjoying the time, despite the usual complications - Forges breaking and materials running out. So far, nothing but good things to say about the company. We are in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, so using local materials where we can (most of our business is laser cut/engraved Koa wood earrings), but do quite a bit with Proofgrade as well. Guess we just felt it was time to say thanks to Glowforge… and Merry Christmas!

104 Likes

Your work is beautiful. I am happy for your success.

8 Likes

Aloha, and Mele Kalikimaka from Oahu!

5 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Your message is a lovely as your work. :heart:

1 Like

Beautiful work! Not at all surprised you’re seeing success.

1 Like

Your abalone? Inlay is gorgeous. Very nice work!

2 Likes

Wonderful things you are making! I’m so glad you’ve been successful.

1 Like

Beautiful, beautiful work!!

1 Like

Very nice stuff.

Would you be willing to share your source for the abalone-looking material?

2 Likes

Yes, it is a veneer Abalone material which comes from a tackle website called Mudhole. Comes in several colors.

8 Likes

What a gorgeous assortment! Such beautiful work!

Congrats. But no doubt you’ve EARNED your success. Set-up/Tear-down three times a week!? Argh! I’d go bonkers. Once a week is enough for me in the Summer.

BEAUTIFUL pieces!

2 Likes

it doesn’t look like they’re traveling the GFs to the shows (not in the pictures above).

No, I’m saying, just to sell crafts… it’s the worst part of shows IMO.

1 Like

hah, oh, yeah. totally.

but i suspect if you do it that often, you have a system, get in a groove, and it’s less crappy than if you do it every few months.

1 Like

Workin’ on it! Gonna spend a good part of the Winter on display pieces, specifically designed to make set-up/tear-down quicker and easier. Particularly the jewelry.

2 Likes

Ha, yes, setup/breakdown is always the fun part… it’s taken us quite a while to perfect our system. A lot of our market displays are the type which slot together, so we can break them down into flat pieces for transport. Pintrest has been invaluable for ideas in that department.

1 Like

I just have to say how much I admire you for sustaining a glowforge-based craft business on an island with a population of around 200,000 (the county I live in has 4x that)!

Tourists probably raise the population number by an order of magnitude. And they are all looking for something to bring home from Hawaii :grin:

1 Like