Successful crafting business in Hawaii

You said it. Been a good Xmas season so far.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so amazed by what youā€™ve created. Congratulations!!!

1 Like

What is the inlay material you are using? I love the coloring.

So beautifull, everything you have done. I have been busy and not able to find the time to do a lot with my glowforge yet. I really want to. Congratulations and keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to me.

The source is in the thread. Tackle company. Mudhole.

1 Like

Aloha, Amanda. Thatā€™s some awesome work. Weā€™re up here in Washington trying to get ahold of some koa that would work well on the GF. Being on the Big Island and seeing that You use koa, do You have any source You would recommend? Mahalo :call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Beautiful!

Great work! The Glowforge sure makes thing easier to create! Nice that you have a niche of local crafting and sales of beautiful pieces. No need to take over the world, live and produce in a balanced and susainable way!

2 Likes

https://www.mudhole.com/Abalone-Veneer-Kit-6-Colors

2 Likes

We usually buy milled Koa from local woodmills at 4/4 (1 inch thick) and mill it down ourselves with a bandsaw resaw. Itā€™s not easy finding Koa thatā€™s already sawn down to laser ready thicknesses. If that aligns with what youā€™re looking for I could chat with one of the local woodmills and see how they feel about shipping; I donā€™t know much about the concept of shipping Koa out of state, but Iā€™m willing to ask around if you like, keeping in mind that Koa is considered a precious resource here and is priced accordingly. Alternatively, you can give Aloha Woods a call, I know they ship out of state but I also know they price Koa like itā€™s gold.

2 Likes

Everything is so beautiful, ā€˜beautifulā€™, I canā€™t say that enough.

1 Like

Beautifully done!

1 Like

Aloha from Oahu! If you donā€™t mind me asking, what are your typical engraving settings you are using on your GF for Koa? I just had a project request and I could go off of guesstimates but would rather get info from those that have been successful with it!

Mahalo!

1 Like

Congratulations on setting up your own business. The designs are beautiful.

1 Like

Your work is perfect! So gorgeous! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s some beautiful work

Aloha! Sorry for the late reply, havenā€™t logged on in awhile. Koa is a wood with such an incredible amount of variety of character, that Iā€™d need to see the specific piece you were going to cut in order to assist with cutting speeds. What thickness is the piece, is it curly, figured, straight-grain, blonde Koa or chocolate Koa or somewhere inbetween, what is the density of the pieceā€¦ too many variables. Can you send a picture of the piece with some specs?

1 Like

Oh, sorry again, just noticed you are looking for engrave speeds specifically. We usually fall somewhere very near to full speed/full power when doing Koa engraving, for a nice dark contrast burn that doesnā€™t take all day. The lighter the Koa, the less power me might use, but still in the upper ranges. Hope that helps.

I can as soon as I am home is this the best way to send it to you?

No worries I appreciate any help I can get for either cutting or engraving) but for your info itā€™s about an inch thick. I attached a pic. I havenā€™t worked with it but looking to learn! Let me know if you have any other helpful tips. For this one I am also suggesting to the person to go with cut out letters affixed to the Koa (especially if I hadnā€™t gotten an answer from someone smarter than me on it!

Thanks again!

Chris

1 Like