Suggestion regarding embedded fonts

The workflow would be many times more simple if one could use embedded fonts in SVG and even Ai files directly. Converted text to curves is a pain when you want to go back an make small tweaks

1 Like

you can save as PDF with fonts included and upload the PDF to print in the GFUI. no need to convert to outlines.

edit: i could be wrong, but i don’t think embedded fonts in SVGs would work because, as i understand it, SVGs don’t store the actual font in the file, which PDF does (as long as the font file itself allows itself to be embedded in the PDF). the SVG just stores the font information. if the font is not on the system that the file is uploaded to, it will not be able to render the characters as that font. GF isn’t going to maintain all the fonts you might ever use.

PDF, however, stores the font information inside the PDF envelope, so that font can be rendered on any system that can read PDFs. others have pointed out that PDFs are often larger files than SVGs. this is one of those reasons.

2 Likes

you can embed fonts in an svg - theres an option in the AI save box for it

While I agree this would make life simpler version control is your best friend untill we see this.
Save a version with the fonts imbeded and then save a version converted. That way if you need to make small tweaks you can. Rinse and repete.

I know a lot about version control because I never get things right the first time.

5 Likes

But is it truly embedded like a PDF? If you embed a non standard font, will anyone be able to see the proper font rendering regardless of whether they have the font installed?

I honestly don’t know, but the limited explanations I’ve seen imply that’s not the case.

What software are you using?

I use Adobe Illustrator CC and all of my text stays editable. When I export the SVG it automatically converts text to curves without affecting my original file.

2 Likes

You might have to specify that fonts be converted into outlines in the SVG Save As dialog to do that. (Just a reminder, it’s not automatic on some older versions.) :slightly_smiling_face:

Yup, was just trying to find out what software so maybe we could point him towards something that would help and gave an example of the possibilities with AI. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tend to keep my original text objects on a seperate layer, then hide that layer when saving for use in the GFUI

you can also select all, convert to outlines, export to SVG, then undo and have your editable text back.

1 Like

That’s my typical approach. But it’s still a PITA. Especially if you make a few changes and the last time you forget to save off your editable version. Done that more than once. :slight_smile:

And it’s why I use PDF. No outlining needed.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll make sure the team gets them.