Suggestion: Show SVG Layer Names from File

When creating an SVG file for use in the GFUI, I’d like to suggest it to use the names from the SVG file for layers. This would make it easier to select items in the GFUI to set their appropriate settings such as ingnore, cut, engrave, etc…

6 Likes

Believe that’s in the hopper. Until then, you can use colors to designate individual operations.

1 Like

I like that idea :wink:

Suggestion: Layer Naming for GF Operations

2 Likes

Being color blind, names are far more useful than colors I cannot see.

2 Likes

Wasn’t defending or justifying, simply explaining what is currently possible.

Those of us with red-green or blue-yellow color blindness can sometimes find three or more distinguishable colors to use for defining cuts, scores, and engraves.

Defining colors to each layer based on hex values in Illustrator, Inkscape, and/or AD might be a workaround for folks with monochromacy or achromatopsia.

Every case is different of course. I sincerely hope you find a work-around appropriate to you.

1 Like

I suppose I may have “sounded” a bit defensive in my reply, or too terse… Sorry 'bout that. In a complex design, with many different score lines, cut lines, and engrave sections and the preview in the GFUI not really being the best, it can be a bit bewildering with all the lines. I’m so used to naming my layers in everything I do, it’s abit disconcerting to not see or use those names.

I hope GF implements the named layers soon . :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem is that I don’t know how they could tackle it because SVG doesn’t recognize layers (or CSS z-depth). SVG does have a Group element in the code, but I haven’t played with it in naming groups in Illustrator and seeing how it translates to the SVG code.

1 Like

This may be stupid, but could someone make a custom color palette for inkscape or whatever where the color names are what you want to do?

Maybe - if the AI plugin comes to fruition and it supports AI files instead of SVG the layers could be a possibility - but the hurdle in that is what happens when you have multiple operation types in a layer?

I love layers. All of my work is extensively done using layers for organization. At the end of my project, I go back and expand the layer palette, make selections, and use a custom palette to change colors and assign operations order. But, I know that doesn’t help with the ability to discern the color differences in the UI.

Not stupid and it’s been done. (Even mentioned above!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback - I’ve captured it for the team!

1 Like