I’m super into hexagons lately and am a huge fan of the orange/blue color combo, so I decided to combine it all into a functional piece that I could use every day.
- Started with plain veg tanned leather and cut out all the wallet pieces with the glowforge.
- Made some alcohol ink with rubbing alcohol and Sharpie pen ink
- Painted pieces with alcohol ink
- engraved acrylic plate with hexagon pattern
- wet leather and pressed with acrylic plate and vice grips overnight
- sewed pieces together with orange waxed thread using leather stitching pony.
I’m super stoked at the way it turned out!
Fabulous stitching and a great wallet!
Beautiful. Thanks so much for detailing your steps.
As you should be! A quality job from start to finish. I love that texture.
It looks great! Will that pressed pattern hold up with use and could one get details such as my current avatar?
That looks great! What a good idea to make you own shaping form for the hexagon relief design!
What a lovely compact wallet. I love the hexes on the outside and pocket design on the inside. I think it’s great that you made your own ink from a Sharpie. The color contrast of blue and orange/tan stitching is fabulous.
Very nice texture! (And it opens up a world of ideas!)
I’m not sure how long it will last, but this photo is 2 weeks post-pressing. Fingers crossed that it sticks around permanently! I’m not sure about the detail of your avatar, but it would be worth a try!
I’m bracing myself for a super cool Jules-level implementation!
Chuckle! I doubt I’ll ever have time for it at this rate…but the ideas are super exciting! Never thought it would look that good!
Perhaps the reverse of that.
This is amazing! So much inspiration!!!
I really like the design and color.
That turned out so well! Congrats on a great project!
A perfect stitch! Beautiful color and design.