Summer Days - Operating Temp

Summer in Arizona has begun and it is 101 outside. Here in the garage, it is sitting at 88 and in the Glowforge bed, it is a cool 85.

My questions are these:

• Should I be concerned about even storing the Glowforge in my garage.
  • Upper limit is posted at 75-degrees F, turned on the GF not thinking about it and got a heat warning that said it was cooling down but the fan didn’t come on or anything. Is that expected?

Thanks!
Mike

Its expected if its a pro, the peltier cooler makes no sound. I deal with it nightly. I have no A/C currently. So Day is 84+ and after 7/8 under 78F and I still may have a “cooling message” after a long job. So now I’m a creature of the night :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have the AC turned to 75 and did a simple cut that was supposed to be three minutes, but took 20 min with cooling time included.

I’ve been having the same problem in PA. We had a day over 85 and my studio on my top floor. I have a pro as well but my fan starts running but no movement and says cooling…put two fans and ran the ac for a 2 min engrave that I had stop multiple times and wait until after 9. Looks like I won’t get alot of lasering done during the summer months… oh the saddness!!

2 Likes

This morning at 7:30 am it was 85 in the garage. It got up to 94 yesterday when I had the door open. My only hope seems to be that, being the desert, we get a huge swing - 61 for the low and 102 for the high. I did a successful cut a couple of days ago but it was midnight - not my usual operating time.

It was much cooler than the garage temp outside this morning, so I think the insulation in the garage is doing its job and reducing the amount of variability in the temps inside. I just need to open the door late, let it cool off and then close up to try and maintain it.

2 Likes

That’s what happened with my basement last year. I’m moving it to a/c space if it gets really hot again this summer.

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone!

We suggest not storing your Glowforge in temperatures over 120 degrees Fahrenheit (48 Celsius).

The Glowforge Basic and Glowforge Plus printer has a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s perfect for personal home use. The Glowforge Pro printer adds a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that enhances the liquid cooling system of the basic. This allows for heavier continuous use and higher ambient temperatures.

The Glowforge Basic and Glowforge Plus are designed for use between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75°F (24°C). The Pro has an expanded operating range up to 81°F (27°C).

If it’s too warm, your Glowforge will pause during the print to cool off, then finish the print. If you plan to use your Glowforge often in warm environments, you may prefer the advanced cooling found in the Glowforge Pro.

You can read about our suggested operating environments in full at: https://glowforge.com/manual