Summer on my mind

It might be February, but I’m ready for summertime and the beach! Lately I’ve been having a lot of fun playing with designs that are kinetic and using gears. My brain doesn’t naturally work that way so even these simple little designs hurt my thinker lol. This design finally works after 3 or 4 different tries and it spins beautifully! I have one little hang-up though and I’m hoping someone can offer a solution. Everything is held together with wooden dowels. The base and gears layer are together and the top 3 layers are together while being connected to the center gear allowing it to spin and then all 5 layers are together on the center dowel. I hope I’m making sense here. The dowels hold the layers together perfectly except for the center dowel. If picked up from the top the top 3 layers plus the sun inlay all come up and off the bottom two layers. The only solution I can think of is finding a nut and bolt that will fit the piece, but I’m hoping someone smarter than me can offer a better solution? Otherwise, this is really fun and I’m extremely happy with it overall! :blush:

34 Likes

Very cool!

4 Likes

That is one of the most unique implementations of a planetary gear I have ever seen!

Very cool; thanks for sharing!!

6 Likes

Very fun piece. Would it be possible to extend the center dowel slightly and top with a clear acrylic piece (maybe a small decorative gear) to keep the parts from lifting off?

7 Likes

Wow thank you so much! I was inspired by another creator that I follow on Instagram. I studied her videos repeatedly till I figured it out lol

4 Likes

I like that idea! I’ll have to try that next, thanks!

2 Likes

Securing another cutout of the sun on top to hold it all together was my initial thought as well. Really innovative and cool design!

5 Likes

This turned out awesome!

2 Likes

This looks great! I am so intrigued by gears.

2 Likes

It would also give it a “handle” to turn everything with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, magnets? Nice piece! Reminds me a bit of this guy:

Magnets were used.

2 Likes

What fun! A fidget toy or sorts?

1 Like

Me,TOO!

1 Like

Very clever! Kudos for stretching your brain to create it!

2 Likes

I love the Ancillary Mode Dial! I have it favorited but haven’t gone through the cut file for it yet (I plan on making my own kinetic GF button cover someday soon). Thank you so much for providing the cut file for it and the links to the gear generator sites (that was a HUGE help)!

2 Likes

Gears are so satisfying. Here’s another, inspired by Ancillary:

3 Likes

Oh wow, love it! The images are so playful.

1 Like