Ancillary Mode (an escutcheon)

(Design now available: Ancillary Mode Dial)

Add powerful new modes to your 'forge, personalized for your specific needs! With an easy-turn dial and stylish acrylic display, your custom settings are just a twist away.

ancillary

The attractive display illuminates as your job runs, your chosen setting subtly affecting the outcome.

Tired of the old options, looking for something fresh and new? Twist off the magnetically-secured cover and install exciting new modes with ease.

Materials: 1/8" PG acrylic (window and light guide), 1/8" PG cherry (outer ring), 1/8" PG maple (dial, planetary gears, sun gear), eight embedded 1/8" dia. x 1/16" thick disk magnets, white paper ring (traditionally printed and then laser cut), and black cardstock backing (for the mode window) affixed with sticky-tack.

(I’ll post the .svg after I write a few instructions… Nicely embedding the magnets was a research project, but it’s easy with the proper settings. Despite .gif appearances, there’s no wobble! That’s just my phone’s image stabilization algorithm at work.)

307 Likes

That is just freaking awesome!

10 Likes

Completely overwhelmed! Fantastic!

5 Likes

Oh yeah, anything with gears. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Really quite lovely use of planetary gears!
Makes me happy. Might have to make a large scale version to put on my workshop door.

7 Likes

Wow. So cool!

3 Likes

You win. I’m not even sure what the contest was, but you still win.

30 Likes

:open_mouth: Whoa…

4 Likes

Yah. That rocks.

4 Likes

A big one would be cool… What would you put in the center, though?

2 Likes

Wow! I’m gobsmacked!

5 Likes

You win the internet. :wink:

9 Likes

Put it on my workshop door and put a little porthole window through (Acrylic perhaps). Set the mood in the workshop :stuck_out_tongue:

Just have to wait for my GF to arrive…

3 Likes

This is spectacular. Been thinking about doing a planetary gear for an escutcheon but would never have thought of something this clever! Super job.

6 Likes

WOW!!! Blown away

2 Likes

Holy SH*T that’s fanfkntastic! WANT! (And I have an IronMan escutcheon!) I want this on soo many things. Seriously, amazing work. Thank you in advance for sharing the file! And thank you anyway for the inspiring creation.

4 Likes

I’ve seen it in person, and it’s every bit as amazing as it looks. It’s been all I could do not to say anything until he got around to posting it!

6 Likes

I feel compelled to point out here (for those who haven’t figured it out yet) that Tim is my baby brother. And yeah, he’s pretty awesome. :sunglasses:

14 Likes

A porthole? Giant doorbell?

1 Like

timjedwards
A big one would be cool… What would you put in the center, though?

Mirror?

2 Likes