Sundial with Longitude and Latitude Adjustments

Aim this equatorial sundial North, slide the Latitude ring for your location, slide the Longitude time ring to local time as indicated by the gnomon shadow, and that’s it. If you are lucky to have sun and can figure out how to use the Equation Of Time Table, maybe the sundial will give the time from then on … approximately.
In principle the time tape can be made for a given Longitude, but by making an adjustable time tape that is set once, the sundial should work wherever you are.
This is a small six-inch sundial, so using it outdoors could be a problem: not only from weathering but it is light weight and can blow away. But maybe it is a nice motivational project to encourage younger hearts to read up on sundials.
Here are the zip SVG and workflow files for the Equatorial Sundial:
Glowforge sundial equatorial.zip (252.0 KB)

Latitude ring with gnomon and adjustable time strip

Other side Latitude ring with Equation of Time Data

Acrylic prototype

58 Likes

Nice piece of crafting there! The adjustments are great. Generous of you to include the file, thank you!

6 Likes

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

This is awesome! I love this design also.

3 Likes

Stellar design! Thanks for the share.

3 Likes

I love the range of Glowforge projects I have seen today. From your excellent sundial to @mark14 and the led word clock to @bill.m.davis’s clock. So many ways to consider time.

7 Likes

WHat fun! Didn;t know you could do that! It will get older hearts reading up on sundials too. Nice work!

4 Likes

So clever!

3 Likes

That is very cool! Thanks so much for the file

3 Likes

This is awesome!

Doing virtual learning with our 7-year-old grandson … he would totally love this! Thank you so much for sharing.

2 Likes

Glad you find it useful. Hope the drawing and directions work.
I have finished some scales for the dragon and could post this if anyone would like to try adding them to the dragon. Could be that simple no scales is better.

4 Likes

Great work! I am definitely making one of these this winter!

That is so cool. Thank you for sharing.

What a beautiful piece of engineering artwork @brok09 !
Thanks for the share.

2 Likes