Sunglasses stand - Cardboard prototyping saves money!

The wife likes sunglass options and Gooder sunglass’s are the right price, so she has a bunch. She wanted a stand to organize them and this is what I came up with. Now I just need to cut it out of wood and I’m going to line the pockets with felt or something soft.

Prototyping in cardboard saves so much money. I had a couple boxes that were .125" thick so they were the perfect replacement for PG wood.

48 Likes

I like that pretty well in cardboard! :grinning:

2 Likes

I have wasted so much draftboard and birch plywood prototyping projects, when I have stacks of cardboard (thanks Amazon) in the basement that I should be using.

6 Likes

I’m just too lazy to use cardboard for prototyping, and it costs me. (Resizing slots to fit the actual material is not something I have time for.)

6 Likes

One of the things that I have been spending a lot of time in F360 to learn how to handle with minimal fuss. I’m trying to record some videos, if I can sort out my poor audio recording quality.

5 Likes

That’s why you need to design parametrically. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I try very hard to make all of my designs parametric. All I need to do is go into my design and change the “Material Thickness” parameter and I’m set.

1 Like

Nice timing.

1 Like

Chuckle! I do when it’s warranted. (Just finished one up last night as a matter of fact.)

But it’s still fairly new to me and takes a lot longer up front to create the designs that way. I’m sure I’ll get faster.

3 Likes

You have more patience than I. I’ve only managed one fully parametric design.

1 Like

Nice job! You should do some flocking on the inside of the final piece. That would give it a great, finished look!

1 Like

I started learning F360 with the video below, and it just works for me. Its nice to take a minute to plan what you’re going to do and have all of your parameters set up front.

5 Likes

I agree … Maybe it is my old mind that learned on a drafting board with hand lettering but parametric design makes great sense to me. I actually think it is faster to design that way.

3 Likes

In defense of @Jules and well myself, parameters can be hard at times and is not an all or nothing thing. I can usually get small changes in material thickness to work great but all too often I try to make a “fully” parametric thingy and it will work great within a range but cross a point and everything just explodes.

2 Likes

Exactly.
Watching the Fusion videos makes so much sense, but I just don’t think that way, or that far ahead. One day…

You don’t need to make everything parametric - but it’s well worth it to make material thickness a parameter since it requires tweaking to suit each material you use (since nothing is exactly the spec’d thickness). That being said, once you get comfortable with putting all your numbers into parameters, it’s just as fast using parameters as hard-coding the numbers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s not the parameters that bother me, I do extremely well with variables and formulas and building things using them. It’s learning the rules and how to find operations on new software. It takes some time to get familiar with the layout.

The one major failing in Fusion 360 that I have found so far is the lack of a keystroke command for Panning. Please tell me there’s a quick switch panning option that I just don’t know about yet? Clicking on the icon and switching back and forth is a pain in the patootie. :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone was saying that you should make every dimension a parameter. That would be a bit overkill. In this design, for instance, the material thickness, tab size, and pocket height are parameters. Those are just things that are likely to change from time to time. The rest is one off stuff that would have a hard-coded dimension.

1 Like

As far as I have found, panning is mouse centric. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I switch the mode to SolidWorks and use the middle mouse button and Ctrl. But I do this little as possible. I use a 3d mouse all of the time.

5 Likes