Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

It is not great statistically if 1 in 5 gets damaged and @Tom_A reported the tape was coming of his box.

I don’t understand how UPS accept two person boxes when they don’t have two person deliveries as far as I can tell. Anybody carrying it on their own will tip it on end but it has this way up stickers. I think it is too big to carry any other way for one person. So if it really needs to be kept flat that is a problem right there.

3 Likes

I’m sorry this happened to you. I’d be devastated to have the thing arrive and not be able to play with it right away. I know the feels, although at a much less significant level. The ice cream maker I bought from Amazon arrived yesterday, and I eagerly opened it up only to discover a giant warning that you have to let it sit upright for 12 hours before use or risk ruining the compressor. Reminded me of opening a toy on Christmas morning and finding the batteries have to charge for a day.

I’m sure GF will do all they can to get you sorted out and we’ll go from being sympathetic to envious before you know it.

6 Likes

I think keeping flat is Glowforge engineering being hopeful. But with that said- When I had to bring our PRU to work I had that box origami’d in all kinds of directions in order to get it out the door and down our walkway at the house. And when @dan came out to help us load in the car the box was vertical on the hand truck. I saw no reaction from him.

I guess the cool thing is after the unit has been vertical for a while and you power it up- you get a comical minor toliet flush sound as the liquid cooling pre-primes itself.

10 Likes

But at what sampling rate? No way to know given the lack of participation on the forum.

6 Likes

SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT!!!
Mine came today, too, but I haven’t had time to examine it yet except to note that the tape was coming off to the point where I expect the bottom could fall through if I’m not careful. I plan on taking pics before I bring it into the house.

I think the same of mine. If I had to send it back, the “structure” would be 50% box, 50% new tape to keep it together. Nice (not really) to know I’m not alone.

5 Likes

No it’s too small a sample to draw any real conclusion but it might slow down dispatches while they beef up the packaging or resolve it with UPS. I don’t see how you get around the UPS one man per van problem though.

2 Likes

Dude, I don’t think talking to yourself is a good sign… How concerned should we be for you?

3 Likes

They’re not, many of us are responding back and feel for Sawa. I really want to see the unboxing… even though it will get my anxiety levels up. It’s like when I had knee surgery and all I did was look up possible complications lol What’s wrong with me!

1 Like

REALLY sorry for your troubles! I know mine was not really ‘mine’ yet, but when I received my PRU and had to return it…I felt such a let-down. I know they will take care of you right away.

2 Likes

That’s a huge bummer! I hope it gets resolved soon!

1 Like

UPS was not gentle with my box, either. I was actually slightly concerned that there could be damage. But when I opened the box, the Glowforge was unharmed. And trust me, I checked for damage.

7 Likes

I think it’s important that we all (including future users) inform support@glowforge.com about our poor received conditions. I’ll be doing that myself when I get home in a little while.

5 Likes

I’ll let you know on Monday if my box is spindled and mutilated. These reports give me something to be anxious about at least instead of just staring forlornly at the starter box of Proofgrade that arrived today. Talk about cruel and unusual punisment… :wink:

9 Likes

That :proofgrade: really gets the heart pumpin’, doesn’t it? You just wanna look at it… and touch it… and smell it… and lick it.

17 Likes

:thinking:

13 Likes

Well you are one of the lucky ones you have your Glowforge. You also have materials to sacrifice to the laser. Have fun and let the rest of us know what we’re waiting on.

4 Likes

…Thanks guys…

4 Likes

I am so sorry. I can understand how you feel – got a 3D printer delivered and the shipper had put one prong of a fork lift through it. I hope your GF is taken care of and up and running for you in a flash…:disappointed:

4 Likes

I feel lucky, but increasingly more apprehensive as I see @Sawa’s trouble and being reminded of others’ issues. I don’t know if I’m about to come home to an amazing night of lasering everything I see, or a night of disappointed family and e-mails back and forth to support.

1 Like

Bro, let me break it down for you. Search the word luck, and I’m sure you can find all my bad luck posts. To broken bones, sewage flooding, lightning strikes, I’ve been through the ringer the last 9 months.

I don’t think this is any fault of glowforge’s, but it is wholly ups and my bad luck having it’s way again. Any other person would be fine as the star of misfortune hangs right above me. Lol.

I tapped into some apple cinnamon wine a friend made and playing some Warcraft while I wait for support to respond… It’s about all I can do.

24 Likes