Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

Good luck!

1 Like

Sorry this happened to you, but hearing UPS did a bad job is hardly a surprise. :frowning:

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ll match you on bad luck sometime. That summary almost sounds like a good month for me.

This is reassuring to hear given that weā€™re likely to share a delivery driver.

The main box was punctured, scraped, torn in the corner and the long side, and looks like it fell through the bottom, the tape is ripped all the way. There is clear packing tape all around it, likely from ups. The power cord was missing, and there was a package that appears to have been intended for an automotive place that had an air coupler in itā€¦ Ups hastily must have thought it was the power cord that fell out??

Support got in contact with me. They authorized me to use a pc power cord I had spare. I followed the rest of the steps and set it up.

I printed the ruler, and it is accurate. Iā€™m still working on the first ā€œrealā€ project.

50 Likes

So cool glad it is working for you.
Hope you post some project pictures.
Happy new laser day to you. :grinning:

3 Likes

That is great news! It is surely a testament to how durable the machine is! Canā€™t wait to see what you do with it!

8 Likes

VERY happy and relieved for youā€¦and Iā€™m sure it pales in comparison with your own feelings and thoughts right now. Have a great time and weā€™ll all be looking forward to things you make. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Cool. Free automotive air coupler. Silver lining.

17 Likes

punctured, scraped, torn in the corner and the long side, and looks like it fell through the bottom, the tape is ripped all the way.

Whoaā€¦ where did UPS take this thingā€¦

You got a free air coupler out of itā€¦ :scream: but they took the power cordā€¦

2 Likes

Chuckle! Looks like your luck has changed for the betterā€¦in addition to being one of the first to get your Production unit (a highly coveted position), it looks like the shipper failed to total it for you.

Congratulations on things being better now. :wink:

12 Likes

Headlines: Bottom Falls out of Glowforge upon Shipping. Details at 10:00.

6 Likes

Glad it was just a power cord. You may want to get back on the email with support however and confirm the awg rating of the cord you are using as that determines how many safe amps you can pull on that wire.

I am not home so canā€™t give you exact but Iā€™m close for for instance my monitor has a 18awg cord but my 1300watt desktop power supply has a 14awg

2 Likes

Wow Iā€™m impressed at the sturdiness of the equipment GF has built since it worked after all that.

3 Likes

I can just imagine the series of abusive actions the box was exposed to on the way out to you.

• Failure to secure it (and other items) in transit, causing the box shell to get punctured
  • Lofting it onto a surface (aircraft cargo loading into planes, or onto conveyors, or the floor) without anyone to catch its fall
  • Perhaps failure to double- or triple-tape up the boxes to start with. Not just the seam holding the flaps shut, but across the seams and around the box itself.

Maybe Glowforge needs thicker cardboard, or to double-box the units like FSL was forced to do with the Muse shipments. If they need to double-box units, I hope that anyone doing a warranty return back to Glowforge (if needed) takes out additional insurance because itā€™s going to get CREAMED on a single-ply box.

7 Likes

It is a tank. But all that mass once it gets going in a dropā€¦ Surprised too.

2 Likes

Phew!!! Glad itā€™s (and you) are OK!!!

2 Likes

However- after making the ruler, Iā€™ve tried a half dozen times to say print with two different images Iā€™ve tried to upload, and I get a non descriptive error

Ya exactly. I ordered a 24bay rack mount server chases three weeks ago 70lb it came double boxed. I am a big fan of the double box for anything heavy or expensive

4 Likes

Also a testament to the Glowforge Packing materials inside the box for keeping it save through that ordeal. The actual box itself, not so much.

Logistics Staff: Note to self. ā€œIncrease budget for packing tapeā€

4 Likes