Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

Freaked me out the first time, but it’s been fine ever since. I think mine had been turned every which way but loose. :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, that’s just wrong…

1 Like

Even more, a testament to the quality and engineering behind the packaging. With bad packaging, the unit would have never survived the destruction to the exterior that @sawa reported. I’m feeling more confident than ever about the overall results. Any company that cares that much about the item getting there intact no matter how badly the package is treated is not going to leave their customers hanging on a feature or flaw that can be resolved.

Time for pics.

Corner tear

Side tear

Bottom

Wide view

Top puncture

Side crunch.

???

Something that ups put in my box thinking it belonged and did not.

Now for the good:

All set up.

Dat ruler tho.

First raster engrave, in and out of Hikari(my forge name)

The second raster is pending, what I wanted as my true first project.

49 Likes

It will let you cut on an empty bed but it will not let you cut until it either automatically recognizes Proofgrade material or you tell it the thickness of the material you have chosen. That field needs to be filled.

11 Likes

Thanks for posting! I’m glad you are able to start playing with Hikari now!!! So shiny and gorgeous!

2 Likes

So glad Hikari is up and running!

2 Likes

Those pictures just goes to show how well the actual Glowforge itself is built if it can stand up to a beating like that. Those engraves look great and I can tell your having a great time already! Your setup looks very nice and I’m excited it arrived in working condition for you despite the packaging mishap. Happy Glowforging! :grin::glowforge:

6 Likes

Hikari? Ha. You picked the same name as mine.

5 Likes

So I assume you can use the same name as someone else. Good, because @Tom_A took my name - just a day sooner than I expect to get mine. But mine’s name will be a little bit different. It will be Geordi G Forge.:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Funny how the word “Fragile” on the box got mangled more than once. I think UPS took that as a challenge.

6 Likes

I’d say I’m sorry, but… Nope! I love the name. :wink:
Besides, I announced it months ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The default name when you get to the ‘pick your name’ page is ‘Geordi la forge’ or something like that.

1 Like

Glad it’s working! What a nerve-wracking day.

All good. I had that one in the back of my mind since the beginning too. They can be cousins.

1 Like

Can confirm, didn’t see my reaction. :scream:[quote=“joe, post:31, topic:8489”]
UPS was not gentle with my box, either.
[/quote]

You would not believe what they go through at the test lab. Something like a 32 inch straight drop. Three times. On all sides.

I’ve been getting updates on this as it unfolded and was so very pleased to hear. Hurray!

Also, what the what re: automotive parts.

All credit due to both the mechanical team (for the tank) and the logistics & operations team (for the protective tank carrier).

I’m no box expert, but I’m pretty sure the cardboard’s main purpose in life is keeping the very expensive and carefully designed foam from falling out.

24 Likes

Bonus. Free AC valve!

2 Likes

I just did a really really nice glass engrave. However, as I had tested it and restarted it and fired a couple times on the same piece of glass, I’ve got a nasty band on the bottom edge were it took several passes. Look forward to a new one tomorrow. But for now, wife says I have to go to bed.

Here’s a teaser

I’ll be doing this in negative, and put something dark behind it.

34 Likes

This whole smash and grab deal with @sawa’s Glowforge is like learning there is no Santa Claus. I am sad for manufacturers who have great product and then have to cast it into the elements. Welcome to the real world Mario. Something is seriously wrong that a shipping process just assumes this. Can we not do better?

4 Likes

Perhaps… But 5mm thick cardboard is less protective as 10mm cardboard. :slight_smile:

3 Likes