Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

7mm tightly spaced corrugation.

Oh wow, I hope thatā€™s gone some ways toward settling your panic these last few days.

Thatā€™s going to be awesome! (You working on your game, or is that the next project?)

Just tested with clear glass and this unit worked fine. Though honestly there is no way for me to know whether it focused on the glass or on the crumb tray underneath. Or whether your machine is using a different S/W version.

1 Like

Didnā€™t I read here, or in some other forum that damp paper over the glass is supposed to reduce the fracturing of the glass a bit. That could also cure any focus problems

2 Likes

Possibly. I donā€™t know for sure that there is a focus problem. Not saying that there isnā€™t, just havenā€™t experienced it. If @Sawa gets about a week with the unit and is able to confirm this works and this doesnā€™t then weā€™ll know. I canā€™t count the number of times I had a problem with the Pre-Release that turned out to be me.

3 Likes

That was definitely in the Glowforge forums. Iā€™ve asked about the same myself. I was advised damp paper towel or dish soap, diffusing some of the heat against fracturing, opaques enough for focus AND is reasonably easy to clean.

1 Like

I set the focal depth at .100 (itā€™s 3/32)and said material was total thickness is .125, had some thicker card stock paperā€¦ All I had on hand. The picture itself may not be the best for engraving, was just primarily doing a capability test.

The project wasnā€™t game related, just something nice to look at.

1 Like

That posits an interesting question. Does autofocus use a visible wavelength to obtain its depth sense, or is it using something that cannot see through glass and other clear materialsā€¦ @dan?

1 Like

The issues Iā€™ve experienced using the Glowforge have been chair to keyboard errors. The pre-release machine I have works like it should. My issues stem from my unfamiliarity with Illustrator.

The good news is that as my knowledge and use of Illustrator improves so do my prints. Yay!

It also helps that with Proofgrade I donā€™t need to try to figure out laser settings for each operation (e.g., cut, engrave, or score) in a print. Itā€™s just drop in the Proofgrade and hit the print button ā€“ itā€™s fantastic! BIG THANKS to the person(s) who came up with this idea.

3 Likes

Yes, for large areas. If the glass gets too hot in a concentrated area it can break. For outlines and light engraving I havenā€™t found it necessary.

2 Likes

I think the lowest frequency LED lasers are near IR, so they wonā€™t see optically transparent materials very well as not much different from red.

OK,
This is a question that is probably crazy, but could you possibly put a piece of glass over yardstick or fabric, then focus past that to get a cut without bits blowing all over?

Crazy, or Genius?
Smart People Discuss: AND GO - - -

PS, Iā€™m pretty sure this would have been thought of before if it had any chance of working, but what the heck?

2 Likes

Well you know with this group someone is going to take a shot at itā€¦thatā€™s like dangling a tuna in front of a starving kitten. :wink:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s why I went here. There are Crazies and Geniuses here. I venture to guess that many are both!

And, if the proposal is as crazy as I think it is, I donā€™t think I will be ridiculed as much as I would be on some of the other forums and user groups.

4 Likes

No. Glass over top paper. Glass etched very well. No noticeable mark on paper.

5 Likes

Dang! Quicker than I even expected! :joy:

4 Likes

That was a stupid suggestion. :laughing:

9 Likes

Ha,Ha,Ha. Wow, out of likes already today - or carryover from late last night.

7 Likes

The masking paper did a fine job for me the other nightā€¦ For power mesh fabric that is.

1 Like