Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

NNooooooooo! No, No, No, No…no fake news, no spurious headlines, no, no, no. We don’t want to start down that path!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How about “Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!” :relaxed:

11 Likes

Just received the replacement power cord from support@glowforge. Thanks guys, you’re the best!

20 Likes

Is it red?

9 Likes

Thank you for that.

1 Like

which is just a good quality IEC power cord…

1 Like

LMBO. Sweet title guys!

3 Likes

You cant. Glass is opaque to the wavelength of the laser. There are only 2 substances that are transparent to CO2 lasers, and thats what the lenses are made of. Ive looked into how much a sheet of ZnSe costs. Its REALLY expensive.

5 Likes

I have some proof grade red and black sheets of acrylic coming this afternoon. I have a commission order to fulfil, so stay tuned for pics. If there’s time, I’ll have something personal for myself made too.

5 Likes

That’s why I asked the experts. I am full of a lot of ideas, most of them full of c**p. I figured someone would have thought of this long before if it worked in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for the response.

2 Likes

It was black, but that’s fine. Came with a handwritten thank you card though. :wink:

10 Likes

I wonder if Glowforge ever did/would do this? Just for the fun of it!

3 Likes

I volunteer my unit!

3 Likes

No, you are right. I saw this too but can’t remember where and can’t locate it now.

1 Like

Quick question for @dan, considering how some of the boxes are getting shredded by Brown, have you thought about replacement boxes as part of the warranty since the box is required for watrenty service? I’m not talking about if people throw them away or trash them themselves, but when you don’t receive a usable box in the first place due to carrier mishandling. Just curious.

2 Likes

I share this question, and asked that of support, and so the response was told to me that they are working on it. This is a relatively complex problem. These boxes were rigorously tested, and have certification stamping it’s weight limits and force resistance. In my case, where ups seems to have “had its way without buying flowers” for my box, it really gives more questions than answers.

Do they just send a ridiculously large empty box? Is it worth it, or is it even available to reinforce it in some way? Can they get ups to stand by their promise of “handling with care” in which we paid them to do in the first place?

I could imagine that glowforge may need to give a ups client services rep an ear full for the tilt and force sensors in the test boxes that were mentioned being triggered, and the condition of the production unit boxes with the first couple weeks certainly may need to be addressed in a very specific manner that ups should not do this again.

Problems happen, and an accident is an accident. I may not even have the worst box. The foam exoskeleton packers did hold up and the unit is good as far as I know. If I have a shorter lifespan on the tube or some motor fails, hopefully it’ll present itself before the warranty is up.

Still, I don’t want to see that all of glowforge’s efforts in safety and shipping to be for naught because of a couple lazy or careless package handlers. I would hope that the shippers would have half as much pride in their line of work that their television advertisements show.

So we’ll just wait on that.

6 Likes

The creases all over the box from folding make it look like the truck rolled. I think glowforge sould file a claim and require the carrier cover the replacement cost for a new shipping container since it is intended to be reused. The pictures leave no room for dispute that it was mishandled, no. Abused.
If the carrier has any designs on securing glowforge business they will own that.

Don’t freak out if the tilt sensors are triggered (if they even make it without being torn off). The system for securing the moving parts is very well designed, and the only conceivable reason I can think of for concern is leakage of the cooling system which is self purging. Also due to thermal cycling the system would most likely need to be vented with a pin hole. I can’t tell if the dimple in the lid for the coolant sump is it. It’s not my machine so I won’t examine it any deeper.

These cases are going to happen occasionally, just because humans. I think glowforge has hit the sweet spot for protection and cost effectiveness in shipping. Increasing their cost to cover the infrequent carelessness and ineptitude doesn’t make fiscal sense. That’s what insurance is for.
One exception I think would be to employ the ‘glass’ tape that has fiberglass strands running the length. That stuff is incredibly strong and very sticky.

So glad your unit seems to have survived, and yes, that is a testament to the quality of the build and the engineering of the packaging.

3 Likes

I wonder if they would make just the outer box available? I suspect the (high price I saw somewhere but not sure where) was to replace the entire box, foam, etc.

2 Likes

The problem is USP is a massive organisation. Do you really think bending the ear of a rep will cause them to do a world wide briefing of their staff to not mishandle Glowforge boxes?

I think the fundamental problem is it needs two people to handle the box gently. One man struggling on their own is likely to damage it, mainly because of the size. Is there an end to end two man UPS service? I don’t really understand how they accept such heavy parcels when they use one man vans.

3 Likes

On top of that, UPS is mandated to spend as little time as possible on each delivery. One driver told me he had an average of 19 seconds per delivery. They are a ruthless company. A family friend was fired because a drunk person ran a red light and clipped his trucks bumper (no fault to my friend but fired anyway).

2 Likes

19 Seconds? How is that even possible… Unless you are Flash… but wow…

1 Like