SVG Error: Filled shapes must have closed paths

Hello! I created an SVG (in Silhouette Business Edition) that has a combination of engraving and cutting items. Everything looks beautiful on screen but when I send it to print the “Filled shape is open: Filled shapes must have closed paths” error appeared. I am not sure how to check my file and troubleshoot the image.

I included a link to the SVG below if anyone has time to review.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lx-EHqmB2Y-Tp2xiHH6VpJj6s9R2W0Rl/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
You will find many posts regarding this topic if you utilize the search function.
As for your file, access is denied in your link so we aren’t able to look at it.

1 Like

I did read many of the articles but the advice given was very technical and advanced and was unable to resolve my issue. I was hoping someone could review my file. I apologize the link didn’t work, I did set it that anyone could open it. I have attached the SVG here. I hope this works.

To My Son (Text Only).svg

I opened your file and took a quick look. The stars are at least part of the problem. As you can see, they are lines that don’t connect and therefore don’t form an actual shape. There may be other instances in the file, but this was obvious.

2 Likes

Weird, I did not find that?

What I did find was black above the red rectangle and the GFUI does not like an engrave of an engrave so I made a copy and subtracted it from the red that you can now engrave in a lighter setting without disturbing the black parts. :slightly_smiling_face:

To My Son (Text Only)
If you want to cut the outline I would change its color.

2 Likes

How strange. When I view the stars on my side, they are complete! The mystery continues. I need to keep looking at these to figure out how/why that is happening.

The red rectangle was a box I created so I knew where to place it on the painted wood on the crumb tray. I have a red line painted on the wood and I needed them to line up for placement. I was marking it to “ignore” the box which it did. Not sure why it was saying I didn’t have closed paths. Everything I see is closed.

1 Like

I opened it in Illustrator. Using the document info panel, I can see that there are 3 open paths. I use a plugin that allows me to select all open paths (Adobe Illustrator plugins — rj-graffix but this won’t help if you don’ have Illustrator).

It shows me that the 3 open paths are the two horizontal lines beneath “To My Son” and then the dashed line a bit lower down.

For those to be engraved, they will need to be expanded to shapes.

6 Likes

Thanks for the help here folks, I appreciate all the great advice from our community members with this question. After reviewing the findings here, I agree that the open star shapes are the likely source of the issue with the file.

@ebecker832, could you please let me know if you are still having any trouble with the svg error message?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.