SVG File Taking For-Freaking-Ever to "Prepare for Print"

I’m a new user and am trying to cut the first file I’ve created from scratch. I watched aYou Tube on how to do it and followed the directions…at least I think I did. I used Illustrator and saved it as an SVG. I’ve got my file loaded, but it’s taking for-freaking-ever to “prepare for print”. I’m talking time to change into pjs and make a drink and the spinny “preparing for print” wheel is still going. I could likely grow the limes for my drink from scratch before it’ll be ready. Something tells me the file shouldn’t be taking this long. So…what am I doing wrong??? I’ve attached the file to make this easier. I just wanna print this for my husband so he doesn’t think I totally forgot our anniversary was this weekend. Shhhhhh…I did.

Madison2

6 Likes

Welcome, thanks for posting!
When a file has a lot of nodes, it bogs down the prep. That’s the issue, there’s a billion of them!

What software are you using for design? You could just rasterize it and engrave the image, that should speed it up.

6 Likes

So…will it eventually be ready to print or do I need to do something else to the file to make it easier to print?

I’m using Adobe Illustrator. Can I rasterize layer 1 (with all the streets and city name) but leave layer 2 alone so it will still cut? (I hope that made sense.) I’m normally a Photoshop and InDesign girl. Illustrator is a whole new learning curve.

Well, the glowforge determines the number of operations by color, so a vector cut line in a different color will show as a separate operation on the left sidebar.

2 Likes

I rasterized Layer 1. Both layers are separate colors. I reloaded the image…and it worked! YAY! Only an hour and 39mins until completion. LOL!

8 Likes

Wow. That’s supposed to be a guy thing.

BTW, it’s also Father’s Day :wink:

4 Likes

Haha. I know it’s Father’s Day. That I had covered. You’d think I’d have also planned for the anniversary that falls on the same weekend…but nope. I’m blaming it on the excitement of the Glowforge arriving.

7 Likes

Glad to see your print working correctly. Expect every project for a little while to be a learning experience, which makes it fun and interesting while being productive.

As to that ‘guy thing’. I got the golden ticket.
Wife birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas are all in December. I know for a fact I would have missed all but Xmas 49 times by now otherwise.

5 Likes

My vector maps also take up to 15 minutes to prepare for printing. It’s normal.

1 Like

A Little late for planning but I think major holiday weddings are a very smart move.

2 Likes

You didn’t forget … You just wanted to wait until you got it worked out with the Glowforge.

Happy Anniversary … And welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

We had ours the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Now if I just could remember the year I’d be able to get the right day - they keep moving the date :wink:

3 Likes

Yes I was thinking Easter would be a bad choice for that reason,

Thanks for jumping in so quickly to help, @PrintToLaser. And that’s right - there is a problem with our software in handling very complex vector files (usually those with a great number of individual nodes), and it looks like that’s what was happening here.

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve it. Happy Anniversary!!

1 Like