Tab-Box Generator

Yeah. Don’t have a big interest in making laser cut boxes just because I can. But all of those options open up a lot of design pathways in the brain.

Er, shouldn’t that be ‘German’ ?

1 Like

Dutch, Deutch, whatever it takes… :wink:

Dumme Rechtschreibprüfung!

2 Likes

Nederlandse of Deutch :wink:

The keppel link is DOA just FYI.

And as @dwardio noted, that last link looks very interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

Don’t forget our own @kigster’s makeabox.io.
Online PDF box generator with symmetric notches – makeabox.io

And Inkscape has an extension that works pretty well.

12 Likes

This is the working link

6 Likes

I don’t speak German (or English well) but best as I can figure there is a registration fee of 13 Euros to get the password. And you might have to wait 2 or 3 days for the password email. It seemed at first as if the passwords were for greater than 100 uses but I can’t download any of the fancy box types for free. If you just want to use the simplest standard box type the password is “freebie”.

I’ve been using @kigster’s makeabox.io for a project lately - it’s terrific! (Although twice I accidentally used outside instead of inside measurements - would be lovely to have that as a setting instead).

13 Likes

Whoa! @dan — thanks for the kind words!

And yes, I will be adding the inside/outside measurement control shortly, as well as the cookie-based storage for recalling past settings. Especially given that my GF should arrive before end of July (I purchased mine just a few days before the cut-off — phew!).

17 Likes

That would be terrific!

I’ll show the project I designed with it soon… I’m delighted with how it’s turning out.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I was looking for a box maker last night. I would have used @kigster’s, but I was looking for the option for no top and bottom cuts. The crates I am building will have a rabbeted bottom, which I will do on the table saw.

1 Like

So many to choose from. I’ve settled on an Inkscape extension for basic boxes since it allows metric and imperial, inside and outside dimensions, kerf, tap spacing, dividers, open sides and a few other tweaks.

However, this site so many options, it’s hard to beat. It’s been posted many times, but looks like not yet on this topic. Plus you don’t have to download and install the code. Here is a box maker server.

http://www.festi.info/boxes.py/index.html.

5 Likes

Links to six different box generators in the Matrix:

5 Likes

I delved into a part of Fusion 360 I had not tapped before, and spent some time scratching the surface on Parametric sketches with user parameters.

A little maths and some good luck, I think I have a working tab generator that compensates for Kerf.

So far it ONLY generates the fingers based on how thick a tab you want, how many tabs you want, how thick the material is, and how much kerf there is. Based on that it will generate a series of both sides of the joint.

3 Likes

Getting closer!

I got Fusion to generate the ends and sides with pins parametricly today.

I’m experimenting with this floor method. Tabs on the bottom and slots engraved into the sides

I’m getting a lot of flashback. I think some of it may be the steel crumb tray. If I have time I may swap it out with my aluminum tray from the K40

7 Likes

The flashback is a function of using non-PG material, and possibly the settings you’re using. You might open a thread in Beyond the Manual about getting some help with that. I don’t think the K40 tray will improve things (aluminum is the cheap stuff and usually works worse).

Very cool work though!

1 Like

Agreed. I was going to run further tests, but I think I can confirm the Aluminum tray is no improvement.

The comb is much thinner, so I thought that would help. For some reason ( probably less delivered power) I didn’t have problems with flashback on the K40.

It might be just me, but i have tried making a box from every resource here ( except inkspace ) and not a single one has actually fit together. I might be doing something horribly wrong, but I have no been able to sort out what exactly that is. I have been attempting to make a design for a 4.5in x 4.5in x 4.5 in box and absolutely every one of them has failed to fit together. The teeth just don’t line up on all the sides. It’s quite unfortunate. I’ve wasted so very much material on this so far.