Taiwanese DC-6040-N Laser

I think that’s really the leg-up Glowforge has, that they’ve simplified the physical user interface so much (to the single button) that everything else can be done in software. It’s the shock that Blackberry had when the iPhone came out with only a single button.

I don’t even know where Glowforge can go after this. Everything is in the cloud, all the updates are just there when they’re released. The physical hardware has been reduced to that button. Maybe larger cut areas? Bigger objects for the pass-thru? Faster motor speed?

3 Likes

More powerful lasers and then fiber lasers that do metal.

3 Likes

More Z axis and a rotary attachment point.

6 Likes

Bingo - hardware, for sure. Increased z-axis capabilities/rotary, deeper pass through capability, higher power would necessitate more robust cooling (not sure of this technology and what’s capable with the area to work with). I don’t know how “industrial” they want to go though because the niche here and now is a “desktop laser”.

Software wise I am sure they can come up with a lot also though. This tool has broken the mold of who is your traditional laser cutter buyer so the potential number of use cases is huge.

3 Likes

If they really wanted to up the game they could put in an angle cut feature. computer controlled mirror that would reflect the beam in other directions to allow for bevel cuts, engraving on side walls/rotary devices, etc

@dan ^ got some hopper material for ya

6 Likes

Depending how much of an angle they allow and if they got rid of the enclosed head, I’m sure it could double as a laser light show! Brilliant! :smiley:

Seriously though, sounds like an interesting idea. Not sure what complexity that would add to the head.

It could just as easily be an attachment added after the fact. I’m going to attempt to make one for the 1st gen

1 Like

I got the K40. Delivered in two days by FedEx (on a Saturday no less). For 382$. Yes I did a few upgrades. One was necessary due to a defect on build but the seller reimbursed me for that. I have made quite a few things for friends with it and these items have almost paid me back for the whole setup. I don’t like the software but it is workable. And the results can be quite nice. . I hardly ever fire up the 3d printer since getting the laser.

3 Likes

6 Likes

What all else do you need to run it?? Chiller water pump, air assist compressor, etc…
Whats included in that price and how much more are the necessary accesories??

2 Likes

Oh man, that’s awesome. I’ve thought about building a slant bed 4x8 CNC gantry from time to time.

2 Likes

@takitus
Hi Phil, this was one of my first questions… why not add a mirror and “focusing extension” to do bevel cuts? From my understanding of CNC in general it couldn’t be that difficult. Similarly, why not extend the focusing capabilities to cut through thicker materials with multiple passes, sure, it would increase the kerf width, or sharpness of the cut, but why not??

Since there seems to be a little uncertainty… Discussion of other lasers is fine, as long as you don’t have a financial interest in what you’re discussing. For example, no posting affiliate codes or talking about products you sell.

For those who are thinking about a chinese imported laser, either in addition to or in place of your Glowforge, I’d suggest looking at Gweike. They are the underlying manufacturer behind many brands, and offer a reasonably solid product. I used their 6040 before founding Glowforge. Be very careful of safety, regulatory compliance, etc. If a different laser is a better fit for you than a Glowforge laser, we’ll get you a refund ASAP so you can get one. We’d rather have you happy, even if that means you won’t be a customer right now.

16 Likes

The machine came with a water pump. It’s not too bad quality. It came with a paper thin and brittle exhaust pipe and the cheapest of the cheap exhaust fans. I recommend that be your first upgrade. I got a duct booster fan and put it at the end of a good dryer hose. All in on exhaust about 60$. I cut a plate to go on the square exhsust port out of 1/8 birch plywood and sealed everything with gorilla duct tape. No smells. No haze. The CFM is less than 700. The znse (sp) 50.8 lens and a light object air assist head made a huge difference at about 80ß. I am using the biggest aquarium pump I could find locally and it does ok. Doesn’t prevent flare ups but does keep that lens clean. Other than that it is basically plug and play.

1 Like

@pomwah that’s the plan. I was just saying in my previous post glowforge v2 would be pretty awesome if they included that functionality natively.

The k40 was just a purchase to keep me excited about the glowforge. To develop skills. Believe me, i would not want to sell them. You are very brave. Very good points. There are no (as in none) safety features on the k40. I did buy limit switches and the emergency cutoff switch but have yet to install them. I did buy a dedicated fire extinguisher. But it’s my studio. It is locked and is in a separate part of the house.

1 Like

Can you PM me a link for the K40 you got?

Sent you a PM. For the record I have zero interest in the company other than the language barrier they are fair in their dealings. They ended up giving me a refund on some warranty claims I made. With those refunds I was able to upgrade the optics and get better fans.

AND THIS SIR EARNS YOU A TON OF MY RESPECT!!! Either way it goes thank you.

3 Likes

I have been looking at that family of engravers. It’s certainly at short money price. When I googled K40 laser it came up with a nice looking, much larger laser at $1k. Maybe I’ll pull the trigger tonight.