Tanto adjacent

Made a toy sword for my friends son after being inspired to fall down the rabbit hole by the recent posts of awesome swords made by @evansd2.

The “blade” is made from acrylic and aromatic cedar.
Handle and sheath are made of maple plywood and cedar discs stacked up and fitted with guide pins and a few hundred drops of :crazy_face: glue.

Here are a few pics of the build.

44 Likes

I need to know more about the blade construction!

5 Likes

That is amazeballz. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Holy CRAP!! Very well done!!

2 Likes

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed:
I can’t even wrap my little brain around this one…That is beautiful. A marriage between acrylic and aromatic cedar? I think that’s some sort of magical alchemy thing…

5 Likes

saddly i didn’t take a picture of that part of the process. but it was pretty easy, made my shapes on inkscape then applied a bunch of CA glue and a lot of clams hehe. I made the wood part a few thousandths bigger so it would nest into the acrylic nicely.
Here is a screen shot of what my cut files looked like.

picked a piece of cedar that was slightly wider than the acrylic and then sanded it down with 120 grit till it was close and then peeled off the masking on the acrylic and brought the surfaces to the same level with 400 grit and then finished it with 600

The hard part came when i had to make all the layers for the scabbard and handle and all the alignment pins. my brain was melting a bit by the end of it.

11 Likes

It was originally going to be burl maple board and cedar but my brother was like “are you making a glass sword” when i showed him my plans and then it got the noggin joggin towards this result.

4 Likes

Music recommendation time!

It’s brilliant but not for everyone. It’s a lot, all at once. I love it, but then I’m a lot all at once too.

7 Likes

Wow! Beautiful results!

3 Likes

Terrific work with a fantastic result.

2 Likes

Really great, clever blade design.

What was your sanding technique on the scabbard? Does the entire thing friction fit/magnet together or is it loose?

Maple plywood? Proofgrade or something else? How thick?

3 Likes

Pretty freaking awesome! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Holy smokes, that’s amazing!

2 Likes

sanding was pretty easy just used a 3" palm sander and you go up and down till you see the black lines between the steps disappear and rotate it slightly, i was really surprised by how little time it took. Brought it down with 120 then went to 400 then to 600 grit till it felt soapy smooth.

Yup slight friction fit just to the point that it wont come off if you shake it around hard. You can easily slide it apart with just your thumb while holding the handle. Was considering magnets but felt like that might be cheating a bit heh, that and im running low on magnets need to restock.

As for the plywood its the same stuff i use for about 90% of the things i do. its 1/4" plywood with maple veneer on one side and it is pre finished on that one side. it says 1/4" but it averages between 0.188 to 0.205 depending on the sheet but remains pretty consistent across the whole 4’x8’. I don’t use proofgrade as shipping to my address is insane.

2 Likes

Manual or like an orbital?

started out with an orbital to remove the bulk of the material and then went to a sanding block designed for drywall but with 120 on it then to 400 taped to a peice of glass so i did
Not round the ends and where they join up to just hand sandig with 400 and 600.

All the tool i used

2 Likes

Here is my tip:

Built it with one extra layer handy. Once it’s all glued up, put masking on the “butt” end. Then put glue on that masking, and glue the spare layer on.

Once that’s set, sand as usual. Once you’re done sanding, peel the end piece off (hence the masking layer). Perfect edges. You can ease it in a much more controlled way now.

7 Likes

sounds good might try it next time, I usually just wing it, If I make a mistake i just make all the edges rounded and tell people I meant to do it that way from the start :rofl:

2 Likes

My too, but it’s a cool trick if it’s important. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is SOO COOL!

2 Likes