Terrace chair sunburst shadow box

For anyone who’s ever gone to the university of Wisconsin in Madison and visited the memorial Union terrace knows of the iconic colored terrace chairs. Sitting on the terrace on a hot Summer’s night enjoying a beer listening to live music watching the sailboats and hanging out with friends it’s probably on the top of most Wisconsin grad’s memories.

I had purchased a few shadow boxes from hobby lobby a while back and this is my first attempt at making something with them. Multiple layers including acrylic, colorshop wood, and bamboo. The glass that came with the shadow box is also engraved. LED light strip is mounted behind to provide some lighting at night. All of the colored acrylic is kerf adhustedand inlay into the back layer. Fun little project for Thursday night.

40 Likes

It’s really pretty!

3 Likes

What beautiful colors. Are those representative? (Must be some nice chairs.)

2 Likes

Outside of having blue one summer for a fundraiser, the chairs are yellow orange and green.

7 Likes

Oh, they’re very colorful…(they need to throw a few brown ones in there too, the darker color would offset the others beautifully.)

1 Like

I missed them when I was there. In January. 25 years ago. :grinning:

Fun shadow box, though!

3 Likes

Now that’s a killer project! The inlay work is very impressive, and the layers give it a really cool depth.

3 Likes

Very impressive project!

1 Like

You did a great job in artistically capturing the summer feeling.

1 Like

Well done. I want to spend an afternoon on that terrace.

1 Like

What a clever expression of a special place. I was there one time on a visit about twenty years ago and I certainly remember it as a unique place for the view and all the cool things that take place there. I was living in rural Missouri and Madison seemed like a pretty hip place to encounter lots of culture. Best part though was the Saturday farmer’s market. Absolutely amazing!

1 Like

Stella’s Hot & Spicy cheese bread, and fresh squeaky cheese curds are my favorite at the farmers market. 150 vendors and 20,000 people each week.

2 Likes

Pretty sweet!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like